• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our tarantulas collections

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160521_14_24_33_Pro.jpg

Thistles

3 Year Member
I love that this thread has just become a genic appreciation thread! I've had a lot kick hairs at me but I've never noticed much discomfort. I don't think their hairs are all that bad.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I love that this thread has just become a genic appreciation thread! I've had a lot kick hairs at me but I've never noticed much discomfort. I don't think their hairs are all that bad.

Haha I'm down with that too! Can't thank you enough for mine! I'm literally going to buy every single species from the genus eventually haha.

I had read they were second worse to T.Stirmi but I also haven't noticed anything. I've never been haired by anything though and had it effect me?

Thistles

3 Year Member
You're very welcome! I'm glad she's loved. :) They're such sassy little beasts! I used to be quite sensitive to hairs (even Avics were bad for me) but I seem to have gotten more resistant or something. I wear latex gloves when I'm working with my Nhandu or Theraphosa or even with other less-itchy NWs most of the time, but I haven't had a bad reaction in a year or two.

By the way, the forum ad that is displaying for for me right now is an ad for Raid. Rude...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have any of you been haired by your genics? If so,what was it like?
The little female haired me in the face, and yes, I inhaled the little puffball. I opened her top and she was in ambush position...i was inhaling as I opened it..my throat was itchy and irritated for ten or fifteen minutes. I assure you that will never happen again;) I just rehoused her and she kicked hair the whole time..the big one doesn't kick hair, but she doesn't tolerate any nonsense like paintbrushes, and will take them from you and taste them, then drop them. I love both of mine :D But yeah..the big one will bite, I'm sure of it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My genic doesn't kick much hair. Only times i can recall off hand is when we have to move him with the make up brush. "make me move? I'll show ya!" kinda like. Regular maintenance etc. he just sits and watches. If he's startled he'll go hide rather than flick hair.

The hairs haven't bothered me, the only one T of mine that has bothered me with the hair is the A. chalcodes, and that was the settled hair in the enclosure. I remoistened it to use when rehousing from her previous to current enclosure and forgot to put on gloves, stuck my hand in to stir up the substrate and the side of my palm swelled a bit and itched for like 2 days.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well, I've updated my collection (first page), with some new additions and some departures/deaths...

The new ones are:
0.0.3 Avicularia versicolor
0.1.0 Phormictopus cancerides
0.1.0 Pterinopelma sazimai

and a true spider (salticid): 0.1 Hyllus giganteus

Last edited:

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Here we go [emoji1]

0.0.1 A.geniculata
2.2.0 C.cyaneopubescens
0.0.3 G.pulchra