• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Orphnaecus sp. "Cebu"...anyone have one? Need advice...

PamCz

3 Year Member
Wondering if anyone here has an O. sp "Cebu" and can tell me anything about this particular spider's behavior...from your personal experience. I have read everything I can about it, but I still have questions for anyone who's raised one.

I ask because mine has seemed to be somewhat "off" since I got it. At least, it's nothing like my other T's. Bullet points of my experience, so far, with this T:
1. When I got it, it seemed to kind of drag it's back 2/4 legs, while clawing with it's front 4. Although, I DID see it move those legs, so they weren't paralyzed. Did notice, though, that the back legs would seem to get "hung up" in stuff it was climbing over, as though it couldn't retract it's claws, or something.
2. Noticed on 2nd day that it was missing a leg from pair 3. :( Wondered if I got it that way,& just didn't notice, or if the claw problem mentioned above helped to pull it off. Never found the leg. Still getting around WELL, and webbed up it's entire enclosure overnight...laid a big carpet. Also made a tunnel to it's burrow under the cork bark I put in...with the tunnel open.
3. Put a cricket in...got a bolus back. Good.:)
4. Looked into it's burrow once and saw it sitting there with one leg in the air, high up...like higher than it's abdomen. I tapped the top of the cage, it put it's leg down. Then, the leg floated up again. Tapped, leg down, leg floats up again. Tap, down, up...did this about 8 times, then quit. o_O Hmmm.
5. Went into it's burrow about 3 weeks ago, sealed it, and hasn't come out. I got lucky and saw it moving 2 days ago thru a tinywebbed-over peephole that's there. WHEW...still alive! :D

It's about 1.5", so not a BABY, but still young. What am I seeing here? Is this a freaky, neurotic spider? Damage from shipping, somehow? Or...could this be the dreaded DKS? :( I am at a loss here...

All opinions welcome on it's weird behavior...anyone seen this in any other species of T?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have an Orphnaecus sp "Blue Panay" and it is fast but shy, it will run and hide in a flash. Have you a photo taken when you got it so you can check whether it had it's legs then? The fact it is webbing and eating is a good sign.

PamCz

3 Year Member
No, I don't have a pic, sadly. Perhaps a good thing to do...take an immediate pic upon receipt of the T. Yes...the webbing was a good sign, but no more eating in the last three weeks... The last couple crickets I put in there weren't eaten, so I removed them. Maybe it's molting soon. Geez, I hope. Anyway...we'll see, eh? Would suck to lose it, but it was only $21, at least. Not a versicolor or a gooty...thankfully. I'll try to feed again tonight. If it's not gone by morning, I'll remove it. Try again in a couple days.

BTW, I keep the water dish full at all times, and I spray some moss that's in the tank a couple times a week.

I sure hope it pulls through, tho. :( Poor spidey....

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is always a good idea to take photos as they are unpacked for just such a case as this.

Hopefully it is just in premoult and will emerge again soon.

Latest posts