• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ordering Emperor scorpions, around $20 ea?

spider4747

3 Year Member
I think 4-5 Emperors are going to reside in the upcoming 50 gallon tank but where should I order? I want to avoid the confusion of ordering an asian forest on accident.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True emperor scorpions are going to be very difficult to find not to mention expensive, as they are much less commonly available than they used to be. Most of what you'll see sold as emperor scorpions are going to be different species than P.imperator.

rénee

3 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure here but I believe MassExodus is right, most places don't ship them anymore, and as Chubbs said they will be expensive(I got mine years ago and cheap from a local breeder now if I want one.. a baby alone costs about 40 and a adult is about 80-100 depending), fursure more than 20$. I have also read the odd thread(not on this forum) about sellers mistaking a Pandinus Cavimanus as a Pandinus imperator. Although the P. Cavimanus is said to be more "docile" then the P. Imperator, I guess it wouldn't really make the difference if you accidently received one, but would suck to be shipped something you don't want.. and I'm not sure if the P. Cavimanus is worth more than a P. Imperator either. Basically I guess just make sure your buying from a good seller who knows what they are doing?, and do some looking around and read reviews.

rénee

3 Year Member
OH, if you do plan to have that many 5 is the max you can have in a 50, they say about 1 per 10 gallon, and if you do go with 5, you should have about 6-7 caves for hiding. I currently have 2 in a 20 gallon, and they have 2 hides. Up until recently they have been great together, but for some reason my male has turned on the female and I have had to put plexi glass in the middle to separate them. So just be careful of that also..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so just buy them up slowly.
... Okay.... But you're still gonna run into the same problems. It's still going to be rather difficult to find someone who is selling them. There is little to no guarantee that the ones you order are P.imperator. Some breeders will just tell you that they are just for the sake of it, so the only truly reliable way to identify exactly what species scorpion you have, would be to post a picture here or on another invert forum for people to identify.

spider4747

3 Year Member
I know the main visual difference between the two but when in doubt I'll post. Forest scorpions have a really smooth polished look while emperors are grainy and got a thicker claw

spider4747

3 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure here but I believe MassExodus is right, most places don't ship them anymore, and as Chubbs said they will be expensive(I got mine years ago and cheap from a local breeder now if I want one.. a baby alone costs about 40 and a adult is about 80-100 depending), fursure more than 20$. I have also read the odd thread(not on this forum) about sellers mistaking a Pandinus Cavimanus as a Pandinus imperator. Although the P. Cavimanus is said to be more "docile" then the P. Imperator, I guess it wouldn't really make the difference if you accidently received one, but would suck to be shipped something you don't want.. and I'm not sure if the P. Cavimanus is worth more than a P. Imperator either. Basically I guess just make sure your buying from a good seller who knows what they are doing?, and do some looking around and read reviews.

I'll take them if they're docile and the same species. I think the thing is to keep females together?

I bought a subadult red claw and he went sick and died for some reason, there shouldn't have been problems but he just started getting lethargic and I found tiny maggots on him one day. dead

rénee

3 Year Member
Awh I'm sorry to hear that, he possibly already came with it perhaps? I'm no scorpion expert.

Ya I have read different things on keeping them together, these 2 are from the same litter(I'm sorry I don't know what the technical name is lmao). They are brother and sister, and they have lived together for 8 years, not sure what exactly happened lol.

We currently have found someone selling a Hadrurus arizonensis(Desert Hairy) in our city, we are tempted but shouldn't..

Latest posts