• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions on P. Atrichomatus?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Considering getting one soon just a few things I'm wondering about like do females keep the red?
They are interesting to raise. I had one that ended up being a MM. they are stunning. Can’t really say much about females as I never could find one, but my guess is they would likely not retain the red.

They are great eaters like others in the genus. Mine actually came charging out of its hide to get the superworm and missed it and ended up snatching my feeding tongs right out of my hand before I had a chance to pull away. I found mine to be more skittish and shy than defensive like many Phormictopus keepers tend to describe.

Lemon

They are interesting to raise. I had one that ended up being a MM. they are stunning. Can’t really say much about females as I never could find one, but my guess is they would likely not retain the red.

They are great eaters like others in the genus. Mine actually came charging out of its hide to get the superworm and missed it and ended up snatching my feeding tongs right out of my hand before I had a chance to pull away. I found mine to be more skittish and shy than defensive like many Phormictopus keepers tend to describe.
They sound like fun! My kind of spider! :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can't help on the mature female colour as mine is still unsexed. It came to me as a 5th instar in Dec 2017 and seems to moult once a year at the moment, it is around 5" dls and still has the red.
Temperament wise it hasn't given me any trouble but as others have said it does like its food.

Photo taken 2 days after its last moult at the beginning of August.
1664216760201.png

Lemon

I can't help on the mature female colour as mine is still unsexed. It came to me as a 5th instar in Dec 2017 and seems to moult once a year at the moment, it is around 5" dls and still has the red.
Temperament wise it hasn't given me any trouble but as others have said it does like its food.

Photo taken 2 days after its last moult at the beginning of August.
View attachment 68380
Such radiant colors! That is super impressive!

Latest posts