• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One tarantula is plenty for me.

Cjh

3 Year Member
Hi. I am new to this forum. I am ignorant. I do study. The best thing about tarantula keeping is learning about them. I really do enjoy my tarantula. She is a pink toe. Avi avi. I have done some reading and found that in a lot of the wild habitat she would be in if she wasn't a captive raised has environmental changes from brackish to even salty water, fresh water and sometimes a real rainy season. I do try to mimic this in humidity adjustments, just to see if there are any changes in her eating or activity. I had a nice terrarium for orchids and her going but her food sent the place into a mess. Meal worms are something she devours all of. So now I stick with aquarium gravel, natural stones, an under the tank mini heater, that I do not stick to the habitat, water in the gravel, brackish water sometimes salt, sometimes fresh, high humidity and a warmer temp. My housing for her is a giant candy/cookie jar that is dishwasher safe. Occasionally we find some kind of cute decor for her to crawl on. The only thing about those things she can crawl on is that she prefers to web up the glass and just use her web. We do have high humidity so the cork or grapevine bark just kind of is a waste of money in our opinion with the set up she has, since she prefers glass. She molts and we did watch her do that and caught her on film. She did take a tumble, we didn't expect, so after that we figure since she was fortunate to have missed the grapevine we really do not want things in her habitat other than gravel, her and her web. Those tumbles from molting, ( because she didn't have enough web at the time because we had just brought her home from the pet store about a month before she did it ) are just plain dangerous and the cookie/candy jar really is a perfect size. Her body is measured to be 2 inches and her leg length 1 and 1/2 inch. So she is still young. Her habitat seems huge for the size she is. She eats well, has access to fresh water, has humidity, a day and night cycle with a florescent grow light and we do set her under a florescent long wave black light t bulb, you know, the type for posters, for display and to give her a few days of that type of light. I read that was fine so please do not argue about the black light, set up or brackish water or sometimes salt for humidity I will not respond. If you tell me not to feed it meal worms I will not respond, she eats the whole worm head and all, leaving no mess, they are cleaner and easier. If you tell me my uth (under tank heater) is going to crack my glass or cook my spider I will not respond, because no, frankly it isn't and won't. I do not have much to say to anyone, just sharing my opinion as a way to learn. Thanks for the welcome and I hope everyone also has a nice time.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Why join a forum if you are not prepared to take advice and as you say ''I do not have much to say to anyone''?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
+1 Enn49.
Seems like everyone has been wrong in their husbandry skills for Avics. Good thing a "expert" joined to show to us the proper way. ROFLMAO!!!
If you tell me that I have done everything wrong in my Versi's set up I WILL NOT RESPOND ........ :p:p:p

Seriously though, is the OP some sort of troll post?

Cjh

3 Year Member
Husbandry skills? oh, you breed live stock, crops? Husbandry is a term usually used with farming or conservation. Before the word expert, you should use an, not a. I am comfortable with my ignorance and know my usage and grammar isn't the best nor my punctuation. As far as my spelling, it isn't great either. One thing I do not do is target people with callous attempted remarks of sarcasm. I do pity you a bit. Is that what you want? To have someone pity you? Why not elaborate on your comment and explain? Instead you would rather let your own remark look like feelings of grandiosity. Why is that?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No offense, Cjh, and I know sometimes it's difficult to bring your point across in written form, but your post comes across as quite arrogant and condescending :(. Apologies if it wasn't meant as such.

Cjh

3 Year Member
If you tell me that I have done everything wrong in my Versi's set up I WILL NOT RESPOND ........ :p:p:p

Seriously though, is the OP some sort of troll post?

It is no wonder, now, that those who actually keep spiders don't talk about it much. There is always the wanna be in crowd who fails to do their research well enough to know exactly what it is they are selling or keeping, that fails to ask or just correct for the sake of correcting. The ages of these posters must be 20 somethings with a bad alcohol problem or stoners who have failed to understand recreational smoking. That's fine. I don't have to be here. Why don't you go check out lollapalooza and continue to waste mommie and daddy's money on college to get a degree you'll never use or fail to obtain. Seriously do you know what a troll is? A being that dwells in a cave. Basically your telling me to go crawl under my rock. For no reason. You can see exactly why I will not respond to those who have anything actually useful or helpful to say. On forums, people argue, apparently they insult and get asinine. Not everyone does that. There are knowledgeable people who actually care about tarantulas on here with information to share that is quite intelligent that are not in the hobby because they thought it would be cool to watch a spider catch and eat it's prey like some kind of spectator. The internet is full of people hiding behind a fake name, which isn't so bad, until their cowardice shows and they get rude. I doubt very seriously that the people with the rudest posts have much information to add other than the plethora of personal problems that plague them. What is that actually saying? Some people do not like to learn and have washed their problems down with alcohol so long they have forgotten how to learn and everything is a bother and a chore for them. It is sad really, such a pity. ANyway. Bye forum. I have no use for such asinine remarks. Those who were nice. I do appreciate that. Take care.

Cjh

3 Year Member
No offense, Cjh, and I know sometimes it's difficult to bring your point across in written form, but your post comes across as quite arrogant and condescending :(. Apologies if it wasn't meant as such.

Of course it wasn't. It is a forum. You can understand exactly why I don't choose to respond. It's alright. Don't worry about it. The written word never sounds as it does spoken. No one can tell a personality by what one writes on a forum. No one knows how anything comes across with or without emotion when written. You know that. The internet is not a viable source of social interaction when it is words typed. Personally I have no need for social interaction. Do take care of yourself.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Cjh May I ask again why you bothered to join this forum in the first place? What did you hope to get out of it with that first post of yours?

As I said we are very friendly and helpful here and I don't understand your attitude.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is no wonder, now, that those who actually keep spiders don't talk about it much. There is always the wanna be in crowd who fails to do their research well enough to know exactly what it is they are selling or keeping, that fails to ask or just correct for the sake of correcting. The ages of these posters must be 20 somethings with a bad alcohol problem or stoners who have failed to understand recreational smoking. That's fine. I don't have to be here. Why don't you go check out lollapalooza and continue to waste mommie and daddy's money on college to get a degree you'll never use or fail to obtain. Seriously do you know what a troll is? A being that dwells in a cave. Basically your telling me to go crawl under my rock. For no reason. You can see exactly why I will not respond to those who have anything actually useful or helpful to say. On forums, people argue, apparently they insult and get asinine. Not everyone does that. There are knowledgeable people who actually care about tarantulas on here with information to share that is quite intelligent that are not in the hobby because they thought it would be cool to watch a spider catch and eat it's prey like some kind of spectator. The internet is full of people hiding behind a fake name, which isn't so bad, until their cowardice shows and they get rude. I doubt very seriously that the people with the rudest posts have much information to add other than the plethora of personal problems that plague them. What is that actually saying? Some people do not like to learn and have washed their problems down with alcohol so long they have forgotten how to learn and everything is a bother and a chore for them. It is sad really, such a pity. ANyway. Bye forum. I have no use for such asinine remarks. Those who were nice. I do appreciate that. Take care.
Alright if you're going to be this easily offended by a comment that was clearly not meant to offensive, then I suggest you stay off of the internet. Better yet, just don't go outside at all.

Latest posts