• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oldest Mature Males

Scubasteve

3 Year Member
I have a MM Phrixotrichus scrofa that had his ultimate molt in September 2017 and he still looks to be in great condition. I remember reading in The Tarantula Keepers Guide (I know this book is a bit dated now) mature males only live 6 to 18 months after they mature. I’m curious to hear what everyone else’s oldest mature male is/was in their collection.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a MM Phrixotrichus scrofa that had his ultimate molt in September 2017 and he still looks to be in great condition. I remember reading in The Tarantula Keepers Guide (I know this book is a bit dated now) mature males only live 6 to 18 months after they mature. I’m curious to hear what everyone else’s oldest mature male is/was in their collection.
We had a L. P MM that we lost recently he was over 3 years old.. To be honest most of the MMs we have are over 2 years and still going strong they include a T. Albo and OBT usambara.. He's so angry he always eats every week without fail.. I've never seen an MM with such an amazing appetite lol :)

Scubasteve

3 Year Member
We had a L. P MM that we lost recently he was over 3 years old.. To be honest most of the MMs we have are over 2 years and still going strong they include a T. Albo and OBT usambara.. He's so angry he always eats every week without fail.. I've never seen an MM with such an amazing appetite lol :)
Good to know it’s not just me lol. That’s incredible that he still eats every week. My guy will take a meal sporadically every few weeks.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good to know it’s not just me lol. That’s incredible that he still eats every week. My guy will take a meal sporadically every few weeks.
He's absolutely tiny but eats an extra large locust everyweek.. Its almost as big as he is :D if he carries on at the rate he is going he will live forever lol
It's great that your little guy is still going strong... Such an adorable species too :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Currently I have a mature male Lasiodora parahybana thats 5 years mature...9 years total.
I also have a Tliltocatl sabulosum mature male thats 4 years mature ...7 years total.
I've got handfuls of males that are over two years mature as well. Mostly Brachypelma, Alphonopelma and Tliltocatl species.

Scubasteve

3 Year Member
Currently I have a mature male Lasiodora parahybana thats 5 years mature...9 years total.
I also have a Tliltocatl sabulosum mature male thats 4 years mature ...7 years total.
I've got handfuls of males that are over two years mature as well. Mostly Brachypelma, Alphonopelma and Tliltocatl species.
Wow! 5 years after an ultimate molt is the longest I've ever heard. Have you had any live longer than that in the past or have you heard of anyone having a mature male live longer than that?

Scubasteve

3 Year Member
He's absolutely tiny but eats an extra large locust everyweek.. Its almost as big as he is :D if he carries on at the rate he is going he will live forever lol
It's great that your little guy is still going strong... Such an adorable species too :)
He may have a few more years left in him, you just never know lol.

I love the species as well, I'm hoping to get another at some point down the road. I haven't seen any for sale in awhile though

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow! 5 years after an ultimate molt is the longest I've ever heard. Have you had any live longer than that in the past or have you heard of anyone having a mature male live longer than that?
I've had a 6.5+ year mature Brachypelma hamorii...13ish? years old total at his death. Both him and the LP were never bred...not sure if that has anything to do with it.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had a 6.5+ year mature Brachypelma hamorii...13ish? years old total at his death. Both him and the LP were never bred...not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Wow 6 and a half years! :eek:. They've had no females causing them stress so it's gotta be something to do with it lol ;)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He may have a few more years left in him, you just never know lol.

I love the species as well, I'm hoping to get another at some point down the road. I haven't seen any for sale in awhile though
I'm yet to see a scrofa for sale here in the UK.. I'd snap one up if I did - they are adorable I remember seeing a picture of @Arachnoclowns female a while back - I've been looking ever since :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How well did your hamorii and LP continue to eat once matured? :) Xx

Latest posts