• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd behavior

Justine

Our brachypelma Smithi tarantula molted about a week and a half ago. Tonight my seven year old daughter went into hysterics because she found our pet on his back with his legs curled in. We thought he was dead. We opened the enclosure and he jumped up and moved. Can someone enlighten us on what the heck he was doing? We have since looked up what a death curl looks like and this wasn’t it. Is this a thing....tarantulas laying on their backs? Any insight on this is welcomed!

Grandsouls

from the things iv read in the past, it sounds like he is just going through another molt, and you interrupted it tarantula (Again from what I read ) will not die on its back, it will die facing down or side with legs curled in an dried up looking. Now its a slower growing species but its possible its going to molt again.. I have read few similar threads like this an it was just going through two almost continuous molts, some without even feeding in between
(perhaps it grew too much and started going through second molt before it was even dont its first? Idk)
do you regularly handle or disturb it? Perhaps it put off molting due to disturbing it.
Also if it is in this position and its alive still do not feed it or leave food with it just provide it with water.

If it moves and is reactive, i would leave it alone, and give it time.

Note I am noob, to keeping, I have surfed threads and google for years though, just speaking from my research that I can remember, if anyone more experienced could chime in that would be great : )

Justine

from the things iv read in the past, it sounds like he is just going through another molt, and you interrupted it tarantula (Again from what I read ) will not die on its back, it will die facing down or side with legs curled in an dried up looking. Now its a slower growing species but its possible its going to molt again.. I have read few similar threads like this an it was just going through two almost continuous molts, some without even feeding in between
(perhaps it grew too much and started going through second molt before it was even dont its first? Idk)
do you regularly handle or disturb it? Perhaps it put off molting due to disturbing it.
Also if it is in this position and its alive still do not feed it or leave food with it just provide it with water.

If it moves and is reactive, i would leave it alone, and give it time.

Note I am noob, to keeping, I have surfed threads and google for years though, just speaking from my research that I can remember, if anyone more experienced could chime in that would be great : )

Justine

I had no idea they can molt so quickly after a recent molt. When he molted the first time he built a web and flicked hairs all over it. Tonight he wasn’t on a web bed. We are keeping a close eye on him. Thank you for the information and answering my post....it means a lot. Thank you.

Justine

Also how old is it???

I want to say adolescent/turning into a teenager? The picture is of him molting in April 19th. You can see a bit of his environment.

Attachments

• 62F1F77D-4E23-417C-9837-F91ED5086251.jpeg
    62F1F77D-4E23-417C-9837-F91ED5086251.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52

Grandsouls

hm weird I would say ? Maybe going through a second molt? Unlikely, but if it reacted and it moved and active, then possible... I hope someone else chimes in soon!

Grandsouls

But for now, just make sure it has water and do not disturb it or offer food if on back, and do not leave food with it, until someone more experienced offers advice

Justine

OMG! This was very helpful. I am shocked they can molt so close together. Because of Covid-19 we have been feeding him big fat meal worms (keep longer than crickets) and now I am wondering if such a hearty meal is making him grow faster? I just recently ran out so he is back on the cricket diet. This has been one of the most fascinating pets I ever had.

Grandsouls

It is possible through heavy feeding perhaps he had a second molt already started. I am again just a beginner to keeping, I have researched heavily but yeah..
Yeah they are definitely very interesting pets! : )
As long as he is alive and responding,I would just offer him water and leave him be try not to disturb him and in a low traffic area of the house :)
Cheers.

Soulman

Our brachypelma Smithi tarantula molted about a week and a half ago. Tonight my seven year old daughter went into hysterics because she found our pet on his back with his legs curled in. We thought he was dead. We opened the enclosure and he jumped up and moved. Can someone enlighten us on what the heck he was doing? We have since looked up what a death curl looks like and this wasn’t it. Is this a thing....tarantulas laying on their backs? Any insight on this is welcomed!
Try member ilovebrachys,maybe she can help

Justine

Sperm webbin, maybe :cool:
He was on his back with his legs in. No webbing around him. He honestly looked like he went out for a night on the town...had too many and fell over. I wish I snapped a picture but my daughter was so hysterical I lost my opportunity. I have been watching him from a far to see if he does it again. Right now he is obsessively cleaning his fangs.

Latest posts