• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Obt rehouse

Greg Williams

3 Year Member
My OBT arrived today, the cephalothorax is about an inch long. Soon as I popped the lid off the vial it tried to make the great escape but I was doing the rehousing in an empty aquarium so it was promptly recaptured and placed in a gallon jar with a hide and substrate until a bit larger.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My OBT arrived today, the cephalothorax is about an inch long. Soon as I popped the lid off the vial it tried to make the great escape but I was doing the rehousing in an empty aquarium so it was promptly recaptured and placed in a gallon jar with a hide and substrate until a bit larger.
When I got mine I placed the vial in the enclouser and let it do its thing

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I got mine I placed the vial in the enclouser and let it do its thing

That wasn't an option in this case as I was transferring from the vial it came in into one the same size but with substrate and bark in. I did do the transfer inside a cricket tub which was inside a 9 litre Really Useful Box giving me a little safety margin. It never made it out of the cricket tub before being caught..

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That wasn't an option in this case as I was transferring from the vial it came in into one the same size but with substrate and bark in. I did do the transfer inside a cricket tub which was inside a 9 litre Really Useful Box giving me a little safety margin. It never made it out of the cricket tub before being caught..
I put mine in a larger enclouser since they are fast growing spieces. Mine out grew a 4"cube from .5" to about 2.5" im 9months. Then i rehomed in it its adult clouser. Tho i may give it a 10g tank so it has lots of room and wont get as upset when i have to go in to it for cleaning,water,etc. mine molted the othr night. I cant get the molt tho. And its hard to see on camera through the web. But from its underside its looking male just like my i mira. Now im trying to find a buyer for that one before he dies

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put mine in a larger enclouser since they are fast growing spieces. Mine out grew a 4"cube from .5" to about 2.5" im 9months. Then i rehomed in it its adult clouser. Tho i may give it a 10g tank so it has lots of room and wont get as upset when i have to go in to it for cleaning,water,etc. mine molted the othr night. I cant get the molt tho. And its hard to see on camera through the web. But from its underside its looking male just like my i mira. Now im trying to find a buyer for that one before he dies

I'll put mine in a larger enclosure after it moults.
I never got a complete moult from Zera, my big girl, she always used it to decorate her cave and web tunnel aand just threw out what she didn't want after a month or 2.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll put mine in a larger enclosure after it moults.
I never got a complete moult from Zera, my big girl, she always used it to decorate her cave and web tunnel aand just threw out what she didn't want after a month or 2.
I tried to fish it it out. I mean with its fangs soft its the safest time to try. But it decided to drag it down out of reach Nd i dont wnt to be mucking about bothering it more

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love reading about everybodies different experiences with obts. My male recently reached the end of his life. Nasty AF! Now I have a new baby and it's super fast and likes to fight!
So far mine has been skittish and will hide. but it recently has molted and from what Ive learn from others personalities Can chage from molt to molt. So the next feeding for it Ill find out lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I fed my tiny one a few days ago and as soon as I picked its vial up, it dived across to where my thumb was and attacked, thank goodness there was acrylic between us :D