• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not really off topic but I'm not sure what section to post this in!

Steph1304

Sometimes it's difficult to find people to share (nooble) joy about tarantulas with, especially when friends and family aren't into them, so I figured I'd share it with you guys instead

Yesterday I spent the morning making a couple of cork bark hides, cleaning out the tank of the sadly deceased harmorii, chucked out all the substrate, washed out the tank etc and then sat in the front room of the house awaiting the arrival of the post (due 1pm). He didn't arrive, so I checked the shop email again and saw that as the package was over 2kg (substrate in there too) it could be 5.30pm so I waited and waited. By 5.30 I was on the phone to the post office. No they couldn't tell me where the parcel was, no I couldn't go to the depot to collect without a failed delivery card, and no I definitely couldn't go and help them sort the parcels. To 'console' me, they told me if my new arrivals were dead the shop would have to refund me - which was no consolation at all!

Anyway the post arrived an hour ago, my 2 new spiders (albopilosum and white knee - need to check the latin name again) are both alive, despite their 48+ hour journey, and now in their enclosures. They were very slow moving (cold?), but they both went in fine. The albo did one flick when I gently touched her front leg with a paintbrush to persuade her to stay in her tank rather than climb out the top, but other than that no signs of aggression or distress.

The albo is now sat on the side of the tank and appears to be washing her front legs. (Substrate is 3+ inches deep and she is only 1" above it. The whiteknee has gone and sat on a low plastic leaf and seems to be fairly comfortable.

The things I wanted to share is the relief I feel that they are both ok after their delayed journey, and the excitement at the size of my albo! Yes I knew she was over 7cm when I ordered her, but I really hadn't expected her to be so 'chunky'! The white knee is stunningly pretty and delicate looking, although I know she should end up the biggest of them all. My versicolor appears to have shrunk - she was 5cm when I got her and I thought she had got really big after her moult, but she is a titch compared to the albo!

Considering I've had no part in rearing them it's quite funny how proud I feel of them, and how excited that they're here with me now - so much so I want to tell the world... but I figured you guys wouldn't mind me sharing with you instead .

sunset

Congrats!!. I'm the same way when I'm expecting my new TS. I still have a hard time leaving them alone on my days off. I could watch for movement, change enclosure needs, webbing ect. All day. I love my T's but I'm grateful for my job lmao so I don't end up a recluse watching T's all day long

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations.
After 8 years in the hobby I still get excited about new Ts and they never cease to fascinate me with their home improvements.

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
Anyway the post arrived an hour ago, my 2 new spiders (albopilosum and white knee - need to check the latin name again) are both alive, despite their 48+ hour journey, and now in their enclosures. They were very slow moving (cold?), but they both went in fine.

Shoot, I'm wincing here. I've been waiting months for the frosty weather to be gone so I can have things posted. Even just cleaner isopods!

Good to hear they arrived okay.

Considering I've had no part in rearing them it's quite funny how proud I feel of them

Tough as nails little spoods.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You are not alone
Waiting kermit 14032019202411 (1).jpg

Welcome

Steph1304

I made the mistake of buying cylindrical tanks so taking pictures is difficult due to reflections - the only image I've managed to take so far isn't brilliant, but it shows my albo enjoying her roach breakfast. The speed she went for it - she was definitely feeling peckish!
The whiteknee has had a cricket this morning too

I do have a quick question about measuring Ts though. The white knee was listed as 4.5 - 7cm, and the albo as >7cm. The white knee is slightly smaller than my versicolor so she would probably just fit on a 1.5" diameter disk of paper if she was standing on it normally. The versicolor would fit on a 2" disk but when she is moving round she stretches out much further (possibly 3" long). The albo is much bigger though. I just photographed her with a pen next to her for scale, but how do you actually measure Ts? I know it's diagonally across the legs but I doubt she's going to oblige me by stretching out . I just want to double check their sizes so I can make sure I'm feeing them appropriately.

Attachments

• 20220304_124945.jpg
    20220304_124945.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5