• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not again.... :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How long were these pics after the molt? It's legs are ill formed. And what is the pattern on the back? Are the light spots the places where it's stuck, you think? It looks pretty bad to me:( ..how is it behaving? And Wg, this is a dry species, you didn't make any mistakes. A plump abdomen right after a molt means a well fed spider. Well fed means that this dry species had all the moisture it needed to molt. Sometimes they just don't do well. You can never tell though, they can be tough little animals, and pull through stuff like this. But two molts in a row..that's troublesome.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Someone chime in here, Because I'm not 100% positive, but what about some vegetable glycerine? Paint a little of that on her old exo?
safe, non toxic, fairly easy to come by. Even walmart has it?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That would have to be better than vaseline, or olive oil, wouldn't it? Or would it be better to leave the spider alone, and see if he kicks it off again when it dries? I think amateur surgery should be the last resort, but does the spider have time? Bad situation :(

micheldied

3 Year Member
I would up the humidity to see if it can get the molt off. You'll likely end up having to try to remove it yourself, though.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Depending where you read online a warm saline solution can be used to remove the molt, but salt is poison to spiders and should never be used near them. Another says olive oil is the safest (vs canola or veg oil) to use to help remove stuck molt.

I've never had this happen yet, so i'm just going of what poor info google has. I'd just use warm water to moisten the molt and see if it will come off. seems like the safest bet.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok dug out the tarantula keepers guide and re -Reading, Shultz says one or two drops of dish washing solution into a cup of warm water, using a brush or cotton swab gently wet the exo, don't drip any into the book lungs obviously,
give it half an hour to soften up.
Worth a try hun at this point, just dab some over the dried bits and see if it doesn't soften after 20-30 minutes.
Ok also, glycerine is recommended for bad or dry molts on several boards etc. message me your address and I'll send you a small bottle for future use. I vape zero nicotine inside and mix my flavors so its not an issue to ship you some.I use a high quality vegetable glycerine so should be safe.

@kormath, I'm with you about the salt..not to sure about that.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Like was posted in Dewdrops thread where she was experimenting with using poison in the bottom of her T enclosures :p saltwater and saline solutions are very poisonous to spiders. It's a contact killer though, they have to get into it for it to affect them. Not only does it poison it dehydrates also. We used to use salt when i was younger to dry out flowers, was lots cheaper than powder laundry soap but that also works.

Anyway, there's no way in hell i would put salt or saline near or on a spider, other than those annoying little black jumping spiders that like to dine on my legs at night. I have a spray bottle of saline just for them.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok dug out the tarantula keepers guide and re -Reading, Shultz says one or two drops of dish washing solution into a cup of warm water, using a brush or cotton swab gently wet the exo, don't drip any into the book lungs obviously,
give it half an hour to soften up.
Worth a try hun at this point, just dab some over the dried bits and see if it doesn't soften after 20-30 minutes.
Ok also, glycerine is recommended for bad or dry molts on several boards etc. message me your address and I'll send you a small bottle for future use. I vape zero nicotine inside and mix my flavors so its not an issue to ship you some.I use a high quality vegetable glycerine so should be safe.

@kormath, I'm with you about the salt..not to sure about that.
Use Simple Green cleaning solution. It is non toxic. Add 2-3 drops to about 20ml of water. Use a soft brush or cotton swab, dip into solution wipe off excess so it no longer dripps. Brush, gently onto the top of the abdomen. Do this several times. It will soften within 5 minutes.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Use Simple Green cleaning solution. It is non toxic. Add 2-3 drops to about 20ml of water. Use a soft brush or cotton swab, dip into solution wipe off excess so it no longer dripps. Brush, gently onto the top of the abdomen. Do this several times. It will soften within 5 minutes.
that's a good idea. it's all natural plant based cleaning products.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Sorry for not replying guys.
For some reason I didn't get any notifications?
I went to the petshop and found a type of oil that you spray on your T's to help shed. When I went to go check on my boehmei just know ....it was absolutely awful. I'm literally sitting here crying......He was running around and as he got to a rock a tried to climb he just flopped over on his back. Some of his legs bent back horribly as he fell and laid in that position!!! I got my tweezers and tried my best to get the molt of but it was just not moving! I got most of it of but his abdomen looks awful. And it looks like his spinnerets rotted or something. They are black and so tiny they are almost gone :( :( :( man this really brakes my heart!!! What is left to do guys???? I put him in a smaller enclosure with paper towels. But he looks weak and fragile....can bearly stand up :( :( :(
Please help :(
IMG-20160113-WA0035.jpg
IMG-20160113-WA0036.jpg

Wg25

3 Year Member
How long were these pics after the molt? It's legs are ill formed. And what is the pattern on the back? Are the light spots the places where it's stuck, you think? It looks pretty bad to me:( ..how is it behaving? And Wg, this is a dry species, you didn't make any mistakes. A plump abdomen right after a molt means a well fed spider. Well fed means that this dry species had all the moisture it needed to molt. Sometimes they just don't do well. You can never tell though, they can be tough little animals, and pull through stuff like this. But two molts in a row..that's troublesome.
The photo was taken 2 days after. He is definitely bothered a lot by it. He molted 6 days ago and today looks like his last. You can see he pooped again. There is more white goo oozing out of the sides :(

micheldied

3 Year Member
Looks like you managed to get most of the molt off, though I'm not sure if the anus is still covered. All you can do now is offer water and prekilled (liquefied) food, and hope for the best.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can you gently wipe the dried matter away with a damp swab in case its hiding a piece of molt maybe?
Feel so bad for her and you.