• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Noobie - B.Smithi & A.Avicularia

Shaolin

Hi,
I have very recently acquired a Red Knee and Pink Toe from someone downsizing their collection - of exotics, these were the only arachnids the rest are snakes and lizards....

These are my first spiders and from the reading I had done seemed like the ones I would like. I really liked the idea of an arboreal species, so the Pink Toe ticks that box. However I did want to see the spider occasionally and the Red Knee does that nicely - in fact I have yet to see her go in her hide.

My Smithi is in a terrestrial nano Komodo setup - which I think came from the Spider Shop. The Pink Toe is in a 30x 30x 45 exo terra with tall bark pieces.

I'll upload photos soon.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of tarantulas.:)

Shaolin

9a7c6d05bebcb248206d857a29a5522e.jpg

87df6a5b653d71a069a2947d69b6cecc.jpg

Took these this morning. Doesn’t seem too bothered by the heat but is ignoring a cricket at the moment. If it’s still there tonight I’ll feed it to my dragon.
Quite a bald spot on the abdomen, so very near molting.
On the weekend I’ll get the camera out and do some nice shots.
Need to get the lighting properly done for the juve pink tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaolin

c8d8ad10c0330d93d4595cb33694391b.jpg

Still not too bothered by the heat this morning.

Are there any signs of distress I should look out for?

On the other hand my Pink Toe appears to crap on the front glass every night - not sure what she is trying to say?!?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
9a7c6d05bebcb248206d857a29a5522e.jpg

87df6a5b653d71a069a2947d69b6cecc.jpg

Took these this morning. Doesn’t seem too bothered by the heat but is ignoring a cricket at the moment. If it’s still there tonight I’ll feed it to my dragon.
Quite a bald spot on the abdomen, so very near molting.
On the weekend I’ll get the camera out and do some nice shots.
Need to get the lighting properly done for the juve pink tie.

welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Tarantulas. To help you on your journey, a bald spot is not a sure sign of an impending moult - especially with the red knee - all it means is that it has done what most red knees do and flick hair off its abdomen. The way you can tell it is due to moult, especially if there is a bald patch, the colour will change from tan to dark gery/black as that is the new hairs forming underneath. If it is that colour and not feeding then it is getting ready to moult, if the bald patch is still tan in colour, no moult due. Hope that helps.

edit....just seen the other pic. that bald patch dies look dark but may just be the lighting?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
c8d8ad10c0330d93d4595cb33694391b.jpg

Still not too bothered by the heat this morning.

Are there any signs of distress I should look out for?

On the other hand my Pink Toe appears to crap on the front glass every night - not sure what she is trying to say?!?

avics do that all the time....lol they are keeping the bark or plants they live on nice and clean and getting rid if the nasty stuff the furthest place they can. Birds do the same in nests. :)

Shaolin

welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Tarantulas. To help you on your journey, a bald spot is not a sure sign of an impending moult - especially with the red knee - all it means is that it has done what most red knees do and flick hair off its abdomen. The way you can tell it is due to moult, especially if there is a bald patch, the colour will change from tan to dark gery/black as that is the new hairs forming underneath. If it is that colour and not feeding then it is getting ready to moult, if the bald patch is still tan in colour, no moult due. Hope that helps.

edit....just seen the other pic. that bald patch dies look dark but may just be the lighting?
157de26b6761a36e8b7f0c76a4189bc1.jpg
b6913b7d24f1a4a3ebe3fed063388581.jpg
2b446a715a75cebc1bb63f5ed555c094.jpg

It is very dark. Found this last night.

Shaolin

e31579bcc6ec0fb239aa81080fa32141.jpg

191587dbfbb8131765c73d32f7baed6a.jpg

And this morning.

I will look tonight to see if there is enough to sex from. I might well have left it too late to reshape though.