• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nice idea. Bad(?) execution. Need advice.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
image.jpg
I'm new at tarantulas, but not plants & vivaria, so when I was given a sling, I immediately set up a jar w/ live Sansevaria plants, soil, & rock bottom substrate for drainage. That G. pulchripes is fine. When Husband found me a juvenile Brazilian Black I did the same for it. The spider's happy I think...eaten 3 crickets in 3 days, but it's redecorated overnight.
While I'm happy it did what it would do in a natural environment, should I be concerned/re-do the mini-viv. Display-pets yes, but pets first, & I want it to be safe & healthy.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I've never tried that kind of set up but I see a few problems you and your T's will/may have with it. The first problem is UV light, T's hate it and plants need it. If you have enough direct light to keep the plants alive your T's are probably not so happy. The second problem is moisture, both grammastolla T's you have might find the environment needed to keep plants alive too moist for their liking. The moisture could also cause fungus and mold that can harm your T's.
The best substrate for both of your T's would be coconut fiber kept on the dry side with a moist corner until they are big enough for a shallow water dish.
You've started with two fantastic T's, good luck with them. I'm hoping if I'm a good boy Santa will bring me a g. pulchra this year.:rolleyes:

LauraMI

3 Year Member
The first problem is UV light, T's hate it and plants need it. If you have enough direct light to keep the plants alive your T's are probably not so happy. The second problem is moisture, both grammastolla T's you have might find the environment needed to keep plants alive too moist for their liking. The moisture could also cause fungus and mold that can harm your T's.
The best substrate for both of your T's would be coconut fiber kept on the dry side with a moist corner until they are big enough for a shallow water dish.

Yeah, I agree with you on a lot of what you said; recognized to late that the direct-planted plants would be difficult to water without soaking the whole enclosure. That's an easy fix though: the next time I won't direct-plant but will bury the plant's pot in the substrate. As for light, not a big issue at all actually. Even succulents can acclimate to low light & do well provided they aren't overwatered. I was an Interior Horticultural tech for years & my bosses were constantly selling plants to companies w/ inadequate light. The plants don't thrive, but you can keep them alive for years need-be & not lose your job. ;)
As for my T's vivs, I keep them out of direct sun, but I'm more of a collector vs. a breeder or hobbyist; these guys are in the open (except when they molt) & will thus be exposed to a normal amount of daylight. So far they're not hiding overly much. I'm frankly more worried about the amount of noise/vibration my 11-month old son inflicts upon us all!
I didn't think about fungi/molds however. I do plan on redoing it...though I have coir in my gecko vivs & it constantly sprouts mushrooms. Also, can't it cave in your spider? Not being contrary, I'm legitimately afraid of cave-ins.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Yeah, I agree with you on a lot of what you said; recognized to late that the direct-planted plants would be difficult to water without soaking the whole enclosure. That's an easy fix though: the next time I won't direct-plant but will bury the plant's pot in the substrate. As for light, not a big issue at all actually. Even succulents can acclimate to low light & do well provided they aren't overwatered. I was an Interior Horticultural tech for years & my bosses were constantly selling plants to companies w/ inadequate light. The plants don't thrive, but you can keep them alive for years need-be & not lose your job. ;)
As for my T's vivs, I keep them out of direct sun, but I'm more of a collector vs. a breeder or hobbyist; these guys are in the open (except when they molt) & will thus be exposed to a normal amount of daylight. So far they're not hiding overly much. I'm frankly more worried about the amount of noise/vibration my 11-month old son inflicts upon us all!
I didn't think about fungi/molds however. I do plan on redoing it...though I have coir in my gecko vivs & it constantly sprouts mushrooms. Also, can't it cave in your spider? Not being contrary, I'm legitimately afraid of cave-ins.
Technically I guess it can cave in although I've never had it happen. Even if it did cave in I think it's light enough for a T to dig itself out. They also reinforce there holes with webbing so I wouldn't worry about it personally.
As far as noise from the 11 month old boy, good luck! ;) Been there, done that. They don't get any quieter as they grow.

lazorkat

3 Year Member
I agreed with hungry ghost about the substrate , soil can be a bad choice because it may contain mites and that's no good go with the coco substrate i would also do away with the live plants all together and use silk ones. cages need maintenance every now and again and the Ts will grow and need new containers to live in . live plants make that much more hassle , be sure to put your Ts in the proper size enclosure , my G rosea when into hiding for 7 months when i had put her in an enclosure that was to big for her liking and as soon as i realized that and put her in a smaller one she stopped hiding and has been doing great ever since.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
cages need maintenance every now and again and the Ts will grow and need new containers to live in . live plants make that much more hassle , be sure to put your Ts in the proper size enclosure , my G rosea when into hiding for 7 months when i had put her in an enclosure that was to big for her liking and as soon as i realized that and put her in a smaller one she stopped hiding and has been doing great ever since.
Thanks for the advice. Gosh I hate silks, but the spider has dug a huge burrow about a quarter the size of the 4"x4" enclosure, even carrying the drainage rocks to the surface. Impressive, really, but how my Jade cuttings will fair is uncertain now. Then my husband was being a man and tapping a few times on the glass and my poor spider began flicking hairs all over! So much for maintenance!
So I was going to see about getting a new enclosure to re-do it next weekend where we'll be vending a show, but you're saying no to that, right? 4"x4" seems so small!
Technically I guess it can cave in although I've never had it happen. Even if it did cave in I think it's light enough for a T to dig itself out. They also reinforce there holes with webbing so I wouldn't worry about it personally..
Fascinating that their burrows are reinforced, and comforting as it's now so large! It's stopped rearranging though, and I hate to give it a new home so soon after it settled in. Won't that cause undo stress. You both have me concerned with mites now though. Yet the breeder of the G.pulchripes said what I set up was perfect, and other sites also recommended soil/sand/coir mix. I don't intend to say you're both wrong for I see the validity of both your points and don't want to come off argumentative...I just hate to mess with them now that they're both happily established.
Oh, & did I mention I'm slightly terrified to handle them? :). Even the sling?

lazorkat

3 Year Member
every owner has to make there own choice as far a substrate goes . but soil is not the best option .. it is full of bad stuff mites and other larva can be in there and seriously harm ur Ts id hate to see your ts hie or be hurt cuz of them .

Latest posts