• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie - GBB Molt?

Strix

Hi all, new to the board and new to the hobby.

I've recently got myself a Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens.) I got him last Friday and it's been a great few days so far.

Here he is (I say he, but it's currently unsexed)

IMG-20210828-124248-730.jpg

IMG-20210828-122118-175.jpg

vlcsnap-2021-08-29-17h59m15s912.png

I was aware that GBB's webbed up a lot which is fine and I've provided plenty of anchor points (more to come) in his Exoterra enclosure. My question is, I've notice he made a little tunnel for himself on the first few days:

IMG-20210829-191604-198.jpg

I'm aware GBB's are webbers but since then, he appears to have closed off the entrance. He also hasn't moved from inside (I kept a CCTV camera on him with motion detection set to high and i didn't get a single capture.)

This is the webbing now:

IMG-20210831-041113-765.jpg

IMG-20210831-041054-645.jpg

Am I looking at my first moult with him/her? I did notice he seemed a little dull in colour but maybe thats just how GBB's are and the blue isn't as striking as it seems in most pictures online. Also he still has the tiger stripes a bit on his abdomen. He's about 3 inches in size so a lot of growing to go. Is this all a sign of pre moult? When I got him the shop did say he was due a feed so when I got him home I managed to feed him his first cricket before he started all this webbing which is good at least he's got a gut full.

IMG-20210828-143510-227.jpg

I guess what I'm asking is, is this typical GBB behaviour? Or is he/she about to moult? I don't want to try feeding it in a week or so if he's going into a moulting stage. In fact the way it's webbed up I can't see how he/she will actually get to the prey but hey, perhaps it will surprise me.

Sorry if this is all rather obvious but as I say, I am new to the hobby.

Thanks in advance.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the hobby. :)
It's possible he's just settling into his new home but it's a good sign that he's eaten and webbed. I'd wait a week then feed him, if he doesn't eat within 24 hours remove the food. It can take them a while to settle.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to our forum, family and the hobby!

Exciting times! Your GBB may be preparing to molt, or it may just be setting up shop and yes, they web alot.

While we wait for the outcome of it's endeavors, why not tell us about yourself with an intro post in the Introductions section?

Also, why not post a few more pics of your GBB's entire enclosure and the setup you've created for it?

Again, welcome!

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to my world lol, I'd had my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ten days then it sealed up it's enclosure on 10th August, I haven't seen it since, I've no idea what it's doing (spidery things I guess ?), taking the advise from members on here I haven't touched anything and just keep topping the water bowl up.

x_raphael_xx

He maybe coming out and your camera just hasn't captured him. Mine won't pick up my tortoise on the motion capture setting, as he moves so slowly.

I got my first gbb sling last week too, and she's just done some initial webbing and hidden away. All I've seen is toe-tips so far.

Strix

Thanks for all the replies. It's all very helpful information. Good news today, Sid, as I've now called him/her decided to say Hi as i was cooking dinner. I think he may be hungry I know these are heavy feeders but his abdomen is real big so I'm going to put it off till later this week. May try and catch the feed on camera too.

IMG-20210831-164206-405.jpg

Good to see Sid out and about though i expect once i put the other anchor points in later this week (got some plants and sticks to go in) he will likely hide away much more which is fine. I'm not really a hands on guy with T's i just find them fascinating and the GBB is a beauty.

Strix

It would appear he/she was indeed just getting used to things. I fed him again today as he was close to the edge of the tunnel so i think he was trying to tell me something. Took the first one and then waited again so i thought i'd try a second as my crickets are more on the small side than medium. Yet again, took it with no hesitation. i got it on camera this time.

Does seem to web up the tunnel each time after a feed which is interesting. Just glad he/she is ok. Can't wait to see it grown into a little beast.

IMG-20210902-114312-142.jpg

(Cricket was remove, i was trying to lure him out for a better picture prior to the second one)

Strix

Soooo... I'm back, this escalated quickly haha!

They say you buy one and it never ends... Well I sure as hell got the bug no pun intended.

Since getting my GBB who is doing fantastic by the way...

IMG-20211013-WA0027.jpg

IMG-20211013-WA0029.jpg

He's gone through one moult, i tried sexing the moult and i'm 99% sure it's a male which is fine. He is a stunning T who sits on display all the time and eats without hesitation. GBB's are amazing! He was 8cm when i got him he's around 10/11cm now so close to fully grown i presume. He's stunning!

But... I wanted more!

IMG-20211016-213434-273.jpg

I've got a couple of little guys one 3cm and one 2cm... The one above is a Curly Hair.

Next is the smallest of all of them which is ironic given it's name, Giant Mexican White Knee.

IMG-20211016-213351-333.jpg

Next up, about 5 cm i think? I got myself a Mexican Tiger Rump.

IMG-20211016-213209-830.jpg

IMG-20211016-165824-011.jpg

And last but by no means least... I got myself a Salmon Pink Bird Eater, around 6 cm currently.

IMG-20211016-162159-003.jpg
IMG-20211016-170921-824.jpg

I looked online as i was in the store for the last two and the tiger rump is said to be calm which i'd agree with although i got some hairs today while putting him/her into its new home.

The Salmon Pink though... my god! That thing is a savage haha! I did notice online these are more for the intermediate to expert level of keepers and they are semi aggressive and obviously grow to a monster size.

I would totally agree as it's the most crazy T I've ever dealt with. Kicks hairs, lightning fast reaction, attracted to any vibration at all (feeding response not threat posture).

Looking forward to all of these and learning as i go. I don't plan to get anymore... well, i think so? haha!

Latest posts