• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbbie

Butcher777

I am new to Tarantula Husbandry. This all started with a trip to the Jersey Shore with the grand kids a few years back. All three wanted a hermit crab. They couldn't take them home on the plane, so grandpop gets to crab sit for a few years. The crabs lasted for 3 years . Now I have a nice empty terrarium. I looked at reptiles but I saw a picture of a Mexican red knee and the wheels started turning. I read a lot the past few weeks and settled on two. A GBB and a Lasiodora Parahybana. Both 1/2-3/4 slings., ordered from Jamie's along with some B lateralis feeders.
i'm not going to use the terrarium as a primary enclosure but as a nursery that I
can maintain control of humidity and temp. It's a pretty big unit 18"x18"x20" and I'm able to get several sling or even the 4x4x6 enclosures inside comfortably. The terrarium has a heating mat on the side,I can seal it up or open it up to manage humidity and it has double front opening doors so access is great. I am 71 and recovering from a stroke in 2012 that resulted in me being left side weak. My left arm and hand can't do much but I get by with one functional arm. Getting this all set up will be a challenge but i have a son who is a middle school science teacher and he is just excited as I am. Wife not so much.

tarantulas118

Congrats on the T’s! Welcome to tarantula forums the actual friendliest forum for tarantulas anywhere. i don’t know if a heat pad is needed since tarantulas do very well in low 70’s temp which is room temperature. Starting with a gbb and an LP is a pretty big dip into the hobby but then look at me, almost 4 months into the hobby and my first was Brachypelma boehmei and then a Theraphosa Stirmi but yours are still good “beginner“ species. Rehousings might be a bit hard with your condition just get someone to help you like your son. Hope you like this forum and welcome to the hobby. Be careful the tarantula hobby is very addictive so you’ll start with 2 and end up with 200 of these things

tarantulas118

I swore only 1...now up to 7. I can't go too far down the rabbit hole due to space. I will be maxing out at 8-10 (depending on the species).
Aw man I have 2 and my parents think that’s way too much. Im limiting myself to 6 (if my parents let) I want a more of a full on beginner species because that Stirmi is a handful but I love it so much. Im thinking for a B. hamorri G. pulchra T. albolisus or an A. chalcodes. Idk why but my dad is obsessed with gbb’s so maybe I’ll be lucky to have one of those

DuneElliot

Aw man I have 2 and my parents think that’s way too much. Im limiting myself to 6 (if my parents let) I want a more of a full on beginner species because that Stirmi is a handful but I love it so much. Im thinking for a B. hamorri G. pulchra T. albolisus or an A. chalcodes. Idk why but my dad is obsessed with gbb’s so maybe I’ll be lucky to have one of those
The T. albos are so much more appealing in person than any picture shows...bought one as my second T on impulse after seeing a SA/A locally. Of course I haven't seen it in 3 weeks because it's in pre-molt but looking forward to a bite of size and some more beautiful blond hairs.

I was skeptical about the GBB before, but having picked up a 2+" juvie today he's gorgeous and just chilled in building web. The P. cam I got however was more than I bargained for...got him because of recommendations beyond an Avic for an arboreal as I already have 3 avic/avic cousins that I adore, but love arboreals.

Butcher777

I swore only 1...now up to 7. I can't go too far down the rabbit hole due to space. I will be maxing out at 8-10 (depending on the species).
Thanks. When I told my wife that these Ts are not really pets it is more of a collecting hobby similar to her plate collecting hobby she got this wierd look on her face almost fearfull. She knows she can't pass up a pretty plate. lol

Latest posts