• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the tarantula world

v_luise

Hi! I’m a new tarantula owner so any advice is very much appreciated!
I have a Mexican red knee named Zion and i’m in love with her(unsure of sex yet as hasn’t had first molt but have been referring to it as a her) she’s been very calm and relaxed since I’ve got her and I have been able to handle her a few times. Recently I’ve noticed she’s more active than usual and walking around her enclosure a lot more. But she is also sitting in the corner of the tank and ‘climbing walls’ I also think she’s hiding behind her legs a lot as she is semi curled(legs aren’t under) the setup she has is the same one I bought her in, is she due an upgrade? Or is she stressed about something?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Please post some pictures of the enclosure and your tarantula in it if possible.

It sounds like maybe natural acclimation to a new environment. Your T may be just figuring things out. It can be a “stressful” time for your T. But there may be some things it does not “like” hence my request for pictures.

I would minimize your interaction with the T for awhile.

v_luise

Please post some pictures of the enclosure and your tarantula in it if possible.

It sounds like maybe natural acclimation to a new environment. Your T may be just figuring things out. It can be a “stressful” time for your T. But there may be some things it does not “like” hence my request for pictures.

I would minimize your interaction with the T for awhile.
Hi, Thankyou for answering. T came in the little tub and I was told T could stay in there until their first moult

Attachments

• BC581CD5-DA34-464C-8A0E-0F7E7304CA66.jpeg
    BC581CD5-DA34-464C-8A0E-0F7E7304CA66.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 529BA14C-67B6-4458-BF17-9E0493ED30CD.jpeg
    529BA14C-67B6-4458-BF17-9E0493ED30CD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally I'd get rid of that flower pot and find a small piece of cork bark so it has the choice of burrowing under it or sitting on top of it. Keep the substrate dry except for maybe over filling the water bowl a little occasionally.
One little thing I have noticed with Brachypelma hamorii is that they seem to go through a phase of climbing, both of mine did it last year and both have started again this week. Maybe it a sign spring is on the way.

v_luise

Thankyou! I’ll invest in some of the bark. When would you suggest T goes in a new enclosure, would you wait till the first moult? Would you also recommend not interacting with them for a while?

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hi, and welcome!

Put in he cork bark when yo can, and then I would just let her settle down for a few weeks. Offer food in about a week and take it from there. Best of luck to you!

Jeef

3 Year Member
Greetings and welcome aboard!

I'll second Enn49. I have a few that go through climbing phases as well. Nothing to get excited about.

Latest posts