• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby.

jkorman83

So i am new to the hobby. I received a Mexican fire leg for a b day present. She or he is currently only about 1.5-2 in long. It looks in real good health. I have had him for 6 weeks now. It has made its self at home, borrowed under a fake log. I havent seen it since and it hasnt taken any food should i be concerned at all or just allow it to take its time and it will eat when its ready to? Could it be ready to molt or triying to? Thanks for any help.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :)
It may well still be settling in still so don't worry too much just feed once a week and remove uneaten food after 24 hours as long as it has water available.

jkorman83

Hello and welcome. :)
It may well still be settling in still so don't worry too much just feed once a week and remove uneaten food after 24 hours as long as it has water available.
I appreciate the information. I will continue with offering food and removing it if not eaten. It wont starve its self right, when its hungry it will eat. What is to long for it go without eating?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I appreciate the information. I will continue with offering food and removing it if not eaten. It wont starve its self right, when its hungry it will eat. What is to long for it go without eating?
It will not starve itself. I’ve had some tarantulas go a year and a half without eating despite regular offerings from crickets to superworms. As long as you offer water regularly and continue offering food every now and then, it should be fine.