• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all. My names matt. And I guess here's a lil story of my journey so far

Around 2 years ago I started watching a few tarantula videos on YouTube. Nothing much came of this other than I started finding them fascinating. Over the last few months I've been watching more and more videos , researching into different species and finally I've decided to go for it.

I'm waiting delivery but I have purchased myself a brachypelma hamorii (ex smithi)
It isn't very big but the reason for this is I believe I'll find a bigger spider intimidating (as stupid as this sounds) Hopefully the "we'll both grow together" story will help my confidence.☺️ I am also wanting to get a Euathlus sp. red. But from what I've found so far I've got a better chance of winning the lottery. Maybe someday.

I'm hoping to be fairly active in the forum and would massively appreciate any tips/advice. I think the learning about the species is almost as interesting as owning them so I'm in no rush to get myself something pretty that'll cause me issues

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome!
I have found this forum to be very friendly and helpful, just reading old threads will keep you occupied for quite a while!
I'm fairly new to keeping tarantulas myself but my long experience in keeping "enclosures" has come in useful.
Don't be afraid to buy a juvenile as opposed to a sling (sling is a contraction of spiderling, a very small baby spider). In most ways something a bit larger is easier to manage, and not as fragile as a tiny one.
You're starting a great hobby, welcome to the ranks of the infected!

Nunua

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the addiction!
It's totally understandable and normal to find a bigger T intimidating, but I can already tell you that several members on this forum are former arachnophobes :D Happy to hear that you have gotten interested in Ts and actually purchased one - I'm sure you'll learn with your upcoming B. hamorii!

The forum is full of helpful people who are nothing but willing to help - So when in doubt just ask! :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Matt and welcome. :) I'm sure you'll enjoy watching your little one grow and develop its adult colours and soon be wantig more.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks all. Enn49 your absolutely right. I wanted to start with an Euathlus sp. red but there not exactly readily available lol. The hamorii from what I've seen and read is a good starter and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks all. Enn49 your absolutely right. I wanted to start with an Euathlus sp. red but there not exactly readily available lol. The hamorii from what I've seen and read is a good starter and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival

You need the patience of a saint to raise an E. sp red, mine is over 3 years old an still not 1" dls. The Hamorii is a far better starter T, placid, great feeder and more likely to be visible.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello there and welcome, gratz on your first:T:
What have you got set up for its housing if I may ask?
Perhaps we can eyeball everything for you pre-spider to help you avoid any issues?
Also, all of us enjoy LOTS of pictures so don't be shy about sharing them!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello there and welcome, gratz on your first:T:
What have you got set up for its housing if I may ask?
Perhaps we can eyeball everything for you pre-spider to help you avoid any issues?
Also, all of us enjoy LOTS of pictures so don't be shy about sharing them!

Thank you :) as it's only small I've got a plastic "jar" effectively. I've created holes for ventilation and around 2" of substrate . I've used a coco fibre brick and expanded it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you :) as it's only small I've got a plastic "jar" effectively. I've created holes for ventilation and around 2" of substrate . I've used a coco fibre brick and expanded it.

The substrate needs to be dry for B.hamorii, if there is room, a water bowl if not trickle water down the side every couple of days and give it a small piece of cork bark and/or plastic plant to hide under or climb on and it should do fine.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yea thanks enn49. I did think that the bricks were a good idea( and they are) but I have been drying it out as I thought it was very moist
I will get a small hide and maybe even a small water dish.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yea thanks enn49. I did think that the bricks were a good idea( and they are) but I have been drying it out as I thought it was very moist
I will get a small hide and maybe even a small water dish.

I never bother with a "hide" as such just a small piece of bark is enough for a little one to burrow under. Save your money for when it's bigger and then you can go to town with the décor.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll be honest I only really got it as I couldn't get hold of a Euathlus sp red (managed to find one now) but it is only a sling really . Realised I said water dish and I shouldn't get as it could drown the poor lil fella. I am hoping to go to BTS tomorrow just to get a feel for the hobby and maybe get people's general opinions and ideas . For now thou I'm sticking to what I got ( I hope lol )

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll be honest I only really got it as I couldn't get hold of a Euathlus sp red (managed to find one now) but it is only a sling really . Realised I said water dish and I shouldn't get as it could drown the poor lil fella. I am hoping to go to BTS tomorrow just to get a feel for the hobby and maybe get people's general opinions and ideas . For now thou I'm sticking to what I got ( I hope lol )

If you have room for a water bowl in the container then put one in, a T will not drown in it no matter how small a sling it is. Bottle caps are good, an upturned Lego brick is an option or some people use the blister that tablets are packed in.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah ok. I'd heard that they can drown in them. I guess that's if it's a pool. A pill blister is a good idea. I'll look see if I have 1

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
An animal that can walk up one wall, across the ceiling and down the other one won't drown in a water dish.

Still, if you're worried, use bottle caps with threads on the inside where they spin on the bottle. They can use those to get out.

Last edited:

Latest posts