• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to group new to spiders

god61021

3 Year Member
hello all,
the wife and I have been into reptiles for many years. I am self taught and love to just wing it, and experiment, and try to learn things. my wife is a" by the book" type person who is happy to research a subject for an entire weekend and try to do everything exactly perfect. (she used to manage a few petcos) .
we never agree on anything that should be done, she plans for the 400 dollar enclosure with fog machine and internet access, just to get home and find out I made one out of an old refrigerator and some windows out of the garage.
We have not had any reptiles in awhile and while watching some spiders in the garage door window of the loading dock at work( really entertaining things that I cannot find in any north American spider list online or in books so cant identify) I have recently became fascinated with spiders, I wanted orb weavers originally but their short life spans sent me looking into tarantulas.
so after researching tarantulas we loaded up and headed to the reptile expo in wheaton il. today and bought 9 spiderlings. 4 - 1/2" L. Parahybana (that the wife tried to talk me out of but were the main spider I went there for)
3 - 1.5" B. Vagans the wife had to have but I liked also, 1 - 1/2" A. Versicolor (wife), and 1 - 1.5" P. Regalis (wife)

we are aware some of are choices aren't the best beginner tarantulas and these are our first pet tarantulas ever but, we feel our extensive non-beginner reptile knowledge will help us deal with the issues we will face with these girls (hopefully no males lol)

Well we look forward to learning from and meeting as many of you as we can.
thanx in advance,
Dave and Amy

Latest posts