• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new tarantula

newtots

3 Year Member
So I have a chance to get one new tarantula. ...I want a heavy webber because i think their webbing is absolutely amazing but all the ones I've read about are either really fast or aggressive. I've never had an arborial before so I have no idea about their care. Any suggestions??

AmerlinaReptiles

3 Year Member
I love the heavy webbers too. I'll be watching this to see peoples suggestions ~ My pumpkin patch sling made a cute little web overlook on her den. But nothing extravagant lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
H.incei and O. diamantinensis are both amazing webbers. H. incei are ground dwellers completely webbing their containers with tunnels, they can be fast but very easy to care for. The O. diamantinensis is arboreal, will web the top of the container and sit on top showing off its beautiful colours. I find the O. diamantinensis very placid although it can shift when it wants too but usually I can lift the lid of its container and it will just sit there even though freedom is only half an inch away..

H. incei

O. diamantinensis

newtots

3 Year Member
Please keep in mind I'm looking for non aggressive and one that isn't as venomous. .I have 2 kids who are fascinated in tarantulas and don't want any accidents

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Please keep in mind I'm looking for non aggressive and one that isn't as venomous. .I have 2 kids who are fascinated in tarantulas and don't want any accidents

Both H.incei and O. diamantinensis are NW and in my experience the H. incei is more likely to run and hide but as said the diamantinensis is quite happy to just stay still. I've never seen any sign of aggression from either species.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
your Ts should not be in reach of small children even the docile spices !!! ( not haveing a dig at u ) i just think it is wise to keep Ts & young children apart as it is an accident weighting to happen, i have three kids & Ts my oldest has moderate learing diffcultys & my youngest has adhd (she is wild at times lol) & i have no problems at all just have to be care full. :):):)

Therasoid

3 Year Member
So I have a chance to get one new tarantula. ...I want a heavy webber because i think their webbing is absolutely amazing but all the ones I've read about are either really fast or aggressive. I've never had an arborial before so I have no idea about their care. Any suggestions??
Agree with Hungry Ghost on the GBB.
Very hardy, can be a bit skittish in sling stage, great eaters, very colorful, heavy webbers and a terrestrial species.
Sounds like you have doubts about getting an arboreal species, this is fine, many people get them and feel overwhelmed about their care. Only you know when you're ready for one. [emoji6]
As far as children are concerned, I'm a empty nester, but have grandchildren/ great nieces over at times. They know my Ts are "look, don't touch", and I am always in the room with them.

Latest posts