• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula not moving

Janehadfieldlewis

3 Year Member
hi there,
Am hoping someone can help me.
Received my new P. Metallica 3cm today but it is not moving at all. No death curl but am worried it may be dead. Any advice please?

Janehadfieldlewis

3 Year Member
Pictures would be a help. It maybe that it's just stressed.
Ok, thank you for the welcome. Will post a pic but it doesn't look dead/ill, it just hasn't moved at all. It was very cold when it arrived so have sorted heat and humidity out but no movement at all at present.
IMG_0119.JPG

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Keep us informed please. Could be the trip, could be the cold, could be the stress...

But it also could be dead. I lost one of my P metallica juvenile and she just hang on a side of the enclosure, no death curl, normal posture, nothing... until I began to worry because she wasn't moving at all. She just died like this, in my case most probably because of too much moisture. When Ts are facing cold temps, they slow down in such a way they are almost like dead. Wait until yours has better temps (what are they in the room your T is kept?) and see what happens.

Was it sent to you by post?

Janehadfieldlewis

3 Year Member
Keep us informed please. Could be the trip, could be the cold, could be the stress...

But it also could be dead. I lost one of my P metallica juvenile and she just hang on a side of the enclosure, no death curl, normal posture, nothing... until I began to worry because she wasn't moving at all. She just died like this, in my case most probably because of too much moisture. When Ts are facing cold temps, they slow down in such a way they are almost like dead. Wait until yours has better temps (what are they in the room your T is kept?) and see what happens.

Was it sent to you by post?
Unfortunately since posting this I can verify my pokey is dead. It was actually dead on arrival in the post. I was aware when unpacking that the container was very cold and believe this is what killed it. No heat pack had been added which I had specifically asked for so I was very upset

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately since posting this I can verify my pokey is dead. It was actually dead on arrival in the post. I was aware when unpacking that the container was very cold and believe this is what killed it. No heat pack had been added which I had specifically asked for so I was very upset
Firstly, so sorry to hear the sad news. second, welcome to the forum, as yu can see everyone on here really like to help and offer advice. @Enn49 is spot on. the vendor should have offered a LAG (Live Arrival Gaurantee) and the heat mat requested so don't let them get away with it. I hope yur next T has better luck.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
My first baby came in today and they automatically put a heat pack in. I was so excited to get it ordered I didn't even think about it. I'm sure glad they did cuz it surely would have been dead cuz it was so cold today. I got mine from backwater reptiles. They r awesome they offer a 7 day guarantee.

Janehadfieldlewis

3 Year Member
My first baby came in today and they automatically put a heat pack in. I was so excited to get it ordered I didn't even think about it. I'm sure glad they did cuz it surely would have been dead cuz it was so cold today. I got mine from backwater reptiles. They r awesome they offer a 7 day guarantee.
That sounds like a much better service than the one I had. Congratulations on your new addition!

Latest posts