• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula mama

Ineesha

3 Year Member
I was just given a tarantula and keeping it alive is my goal. If you would have asked me a year ago if I would have owned a spider I would have answered, not in a million years. Now that I have one I just want to make it comfortable and keep it alive.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Ineesha and welcome to the hobby. You've come to the right place for friendly help and advice, just ask.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there and welcome :) lot of good friendly folks who either know how to help or are willing to help you figure it out ^^
What kind of spider do you have ^.

Edit to correct autocorrect corrections*

Last edited:

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Welcome! I only got a tarantula a week ago, but I've read a lot about them. So far everyone here's friendly and willing to help out! Basic advice is to wait about a week after getting out to feed it, only put one cricket (or other food) in at a time. If they don't eat it after a while, remove it and try again in a few days.

If you're keeping crickets, they eat stuff like ham and dry cat food/dog food a lot better than commercial cricket diets. As a water source for cricket you can keep a dish of substrate wet (which they may lay eggs in), or a wet wad of toilet paper. They'll also eat each other. You can help prevent that by giving them food they like and more surface area (they like toilet paper tubes). Though it's still inevitable that they'd eat each other sometimes.

I hope you do well!