• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T??

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well does anyone recommend and places online they order Ts from? I have a local reptile store I got to, but they are more common Ts like pink toes and rose hairs. I'm a little nervous online and the T being transported because where I live its pretty cold for the next few months.
the best vendors i've found are:
www.petcenter.info
www.fearnottarantulas.com
www.net-bug.net
www.kenthebugguy.com

I won't order T's from www.jamiestarantulas.com because she uses USPS for shipping and i don't trust them to deliver on time. Plus it's a felony to ship through them ;) The others above all use FedEx and i've never had any problems ordering from them, even in the dead of winter. In fact almost all of my and my son's collections were ordered between November and February last year, only a few were ordered this spring/summer.

Just make sure you're there to receive the shipment, and order a heat pack. The vendors above, especially Anastasia at net-bug, will check weather in your area and update you on shipping, if it's too cold they'll email you and let you know when they'll ship.

Did you decide on what you're ordering yet? you mentioned docile, for those i'd stick with the Brachypelma genus. They don't go into fasting like the rosea and some of the other Grammostola species do, so they're not as high stress for a new keeper.

I'd suggest the Brachypelma albopilosum for your first, either the Nicaraguan or Honduran curly hair. Great beginner T, and the slings love to burrow and push dirt around. both of mine are docile and you can handle them. i've never seen them kick hair unless they are in premolt and you disturb them.

Brachypelma Smithi is another favorite for a beginner, the Mexican Red Knee. Both of mine are docile and never kick hairs.

The Brachypelma boehmei is one of my favorite of the genus. Ours is docile, doesn't kick hair unless in premolt, and not skittish. Almost aggressive, she'll swat the tongs or grab the water dish when you're cleaning it or trying to remove it to clean. But, once she's removed from her enclosure she's very calm.

That's true with a lot of Brachypelma species, remove them from their enclosure and the aggressive/defensiveness will go away and they can be handled. My son does that with his boehmei, and i do it with my smithi. I would strongly suggest not putting your hand in the cage to handle them, all of mine think anything that comes into the enclosure is food. My son has had a couple close calls that way, he tends to learn the hard way ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just thought about another one.
Eupalaestrus campestratus (aka Pink Zebra Beauty).
Hardy and very docile.

Yeah but very slow growing. Mine has molted twice and barely grown at all, couple mm maybe. And the slings stay buried in the burrows constantly. Plus they're a large T, i wouldn't suggest this one for a beginner.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Petcenterusa.com
Yeah but very slow growing. Mine has molted twice and barely grown at all, couple mm maybe. And the slings stay buried in the burrows constantly. Plus they're a large T, i wouldn't suggest this one for a beginner.
large but not crazy. Tho there's always that variable that one T is always moody.

Chandler Kaze

3 Year Member
You'll eventually want them all anyway :p

Ha yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't doubt my skills and knowledge too much since I'm an entomology major and just know a lot about them in general just because, but in no way does that compare to the knowledge that y'all have from the experience of owning them. I'm already starting to want them all from just seeing pictures and reading stories.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Check out the giants and the dwarfs, is my advice. Pamphobeteus, Theraphosa, Phormictopus, Lasiodora, Acanthoscuria, and a few Grammastola get 8" (or bigger in most cases). I would recommend Phormictopus out of those the most..hardy, more mobile than the others from what Ive seen, and they come in many different colors (purple, red, green, blue, gold, brown.)
Then theres the dwarfs. Check out Enn49's dwarf thread..really interesting little beasts. Im hunting for a C ritae right now..

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ha yeah that's what I'm thinking. I don't doubt my skills and knowledge too much since I'm an entomology major and just know a lot about them in general just because, but in no way does that compare to the knowledge that y'all have from the experience of owning them. I'm already starting to want them all from just seeing pictures and reading stories.
Also I will mention this since it has not be mentioned. Becareful if you choose to get a T off here. Most people are good honest people,but unfortunately there's some not so good people who will target new people. Always check out reviews in the review section or just ask about seller in a post. I'd deal with professinal breeders for the time being. Petcenterusa.com has a nice selection and good prices. Also Paul packs his Ts very well. I recived a package from him about two weeks ago and it came acrossed the country from CA -NJ(where its still pretty cold here) and all Ts were alive and very active upon opening.

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
I own 2 desert blondes and they're both awesome! The only time my larger one is ever the slightest bit aggressive is when she's in her hide. My smaller one(2.5") almost seems like it likes to be handled. Every time I open its enclosure it climbs right out to explore. I can recommend definitely recommend this species!

Chandler Kaze

3 Year Member
I own 2 desert blondes and they're both awesome! The only time my larger one is ever the slightest bit aggressive is when she's in her hide. My smaller one(2.5") almost seems like it likes to be handled. Every time I open its enclosure it climbs right out to explore. I can recommend definitely recommend this species!
Ahh cool! Glad there's someone who's had some good experience with them

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
I forgot to mention that the only real downside is that are painfully slow growers. My smaller one seems like it's getting ready to molt while the larger isn't showing any signs yet. Which would mean she might only molt once a year...or less :(. Other than that they're great. I've had one kick hairs only once since I've owned them. The larger will throw up a threat pose if you bother her in her hide but quickly backs down if left alone. If she's out of her hide she'll climb right out into your hand without a care in the world. Compared to Avics they move like molasses. BTW both of mine are wild caught and they're that docile. I hope this helps!

Chandler Kaze

3 Year Member
I forgot to mention that the only real downside is that are painfully slow growers. My smaller one seems like it's getting ready to molt while the larger isn't showing any signs yet. Which would mean she might only molt once a year...or less :(. Other than that they're great. I've had one kick hairs only once since I've owned them. The larger will throw up a threat pose if you bother her in her hide but quickly backs down if left alone. If she's out of her hide she'll climb right out into your hand without a care in the world. Compared to Avics they move like molasses. BTW both of mine are wild caught and they're that docile. I hope this helps!

Yeah so far my Avic hasnt showed any signs of aggression at all. Even if you come up from in from of her instead of behind. I almost feel like I need to own a more aggressive T just to get the experience. Im sure as my collection grows one is bound to be *****y

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
Yeah so far my Avic hasnt showed any signs of aggression at all. Even if you come up from in from of her instead of behind. I almost feel like I need to own a more aggressive T just to get the experience. Im sure as my collection grows one is bound to be *****y
I feel you there! Im working my way up to a P. Irminia...still not quite ready for that one yet

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I've always been a firm believer in you cant learn without owning a certain species or genus... Get what you want! There's psycho T's in every genus so if you show respect to all of them and use caution then you'll be fine :) imo
isnt that the truth lol... my first tarantula was the g rosea.. best beginner tarantula they said.. lol she was super friendly.. never even kicked hairs until after her 2nd molt while in my possession.. then she had the obt attitude for the rest of her lifespan :/ I noticed the attitude change the day after her 2nd molt.. reach down to grab the old molt and she struck at me and missed by barely an inch.. I kept trying to hold her off and on but every single time I was greeted with a threat posture

Chandler Kaze

3 Year Member
isnt that the truth lol... my first tarantula was the g rosea.. best beginner tarantula they said.. lol she was super friendly.. never even kicked hairs until after her 2nd molt while in my possession.. then she had the obt attitude for the rest of her lifespan :/ I noticed the attitude change the day after her 2nd molt.. reach down to grab the old molt and she struck at me and missed by barely an inch.. I kept trying to hold her off and on but every single time I was greeted with a threat posture

I think I might just have a really chill avic. ha hopefully, everywhere I've read they are very flighty and fast moving, but she is a very calm girl. hopefully she stays like that even after she molts, but if not I'll love her regardless! ive never seen her posture either.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I might just have a really chill avic. ha hopefully, everywhere I've read they are very flighty and fast moving, but she is a very calm girl. hopefully she stays like that even after she molts, but if not I'll love her regardless! ive never seen her posture either.
just shows you not to believe the care sheets too much ;) My sons versicolor is very calm, the only time she's threat posed is when we found out she totally hates air movement through the vent holes. I was holding the enclosure up looking at her and breathed through a vent hole, she ran down and slapped at it, then reared back in a threat pose when i did it again to show my son. Quite entertaining.

So now if we need to move her to do spot cleaning or something we blow in a vent hole and she'll go after it ;)

Latest posts