• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New owner here

somedude

Hello everyone, I have a pink toe T (Avicularia avicularia) that I got for Christmas. It's my first time owning and I'm very happy so far I just hope my T is happy as well. I have some pics of my setup, any helpful advice is definitely welcome since all I've had for advice is the pet shop I bought it from and after reading up on this site I have second thoughts but thats pretty usual for anything I do so ill wait and see what you guys have to say I look forward to hearing from you guys and am happy to be here...I have read that the dirty web, which just went up a few days ago, is pre-molt behavior which i really hope goes well.....I do have one question about these tiny white rocks that are showing up in the substrate, it isn't in the bag it came from so I'm not sure what it is or if it's harmful if anyone could please give me some knowledge on that I would really appreciate it

Attachments

• 20220312_112055.jpg
    20220312_112055.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20220312_111809.jpg
    20220312_111809.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20220109_171048.jpg
    20220109_171048.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome! That's a very nice Avicularia that you have. They're arboreal tarantulas, so they'll be more tree spiders than ground spiders. You may wish to get an enclosure that's taller, but not as wide. Lay some cork bark up the height of the enclosure for the tarantula to climb up, and give it some fake plants (or real if you want to tend to them as well) for it to put some anchor points. The enclosure you have now looks like it is much more suited for a larger terrestrial (ground) spider. Save that enclosure for your next spider.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the forum!
@octanejunkie might want to share a few links to basic A. avicularia husbandry. You obviously care very much about your new family member and that is awesome to see. You’ll also have a lot to learn as well ahead of you (this forum and his members are here to help) and I am looking forward to seeing your collection increase in size as this is a very addictive hobby ;)
Once again, welcome to the forum.

somedude

Hi and welcome! That's a very nice Avicularia that you have. They're arboreal tarantulas, so they'll be more tree spiders than ground spiders. You may wish to get an enclosure that's taller, but not as wide. Lay some cork bark up the height of the enclosure for the tarantula to climb up, and give it some fake plants (or real if you want to tend to them as well) for it to put some anchor points. The enclosure you have now looks like it is much more suited for a larger terrestrial (ground) spider. Save that enclosure for your next spider.
Thanks for letting me know, i will start looking into trailer tanks A.S.A.P.

somedude

Hello and welcome to the forum!
@octanejunkie might want to share a few links to basic A. avicularia husbandry. You obviously care very much about your new family member and that is awesome to see. You’ll also have a lot to learn as well ahead of you (this forum and his members are here to help) and I am looking forward to seeing your collection increase in size as this is a very addictive hobby ;)
Once again, welcome to the forum.
Yes i see what you mean about it becoming addictive,, I already want more..... but I'm gonna take it slow for now while I start out

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome!
I love keeping avics, too. Here's how I do

I do have many more posts and threads about avicularia, and non-avic arboreals. Some of my favorites!

Nurse Ratchet

Welcome to the forum. Your T is lovely. They are indeed addictive. I went from one to eight in a matter of months. Part of the fun (for me at least) is finding creative enclosures and setting them up. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello everyone, I have a pink toe T (Avicularia avicularia) that I got for Christmas. It's my first time owning and I'm very happy so far I just hope my T is happy as well. I have some pics of my setup, any helpful advice is definitely welcome since all I've had for advice is the pet shop I bought it from and after reading up on this site I have second thoughts but thats pretty usual for anything I do so ill wait and see what you guys have to say I look forward to hearing from you guys and am happy to be here...I have read that the dirty web, which just went up a few days ago, is pre-molt behavior which i really hope goes well.....I do have one question about these tiny white rocks that are showing up in the substrate, it isn't in the bag it came from so I'm not sure what it is or if it's harmful if anyone could please give me some knowledge on that I would really appreciate it
Welcome to the group. Finally someone with a excellent terrestrial enclosure for once.

sunset

Hi, and welcome. I want an avic so bad along with a few other lmao. But I already have 13 and need to work on finding space ugh. Always getting in the way lmao I love your set up for a terrestrial t but agree that your spider will be much happier once you make it more fitting for an arborial. This forum is a wealth of great people of all walks of life and many years experience, way more then my self. So I always look forward to the pics and knowledge on this forum. Not to mention, this forum is very respectful and kind as that's the best way to reach folks to help the T's. Welcome!! Once again and can't wait to see what you come up with once you get the new set up going!!

somedude

Welcome to the forum. Your T is lovely. They are indeed addictive. I went from one to eight in a matter of months. Part of the fun (for me at least) is finding creative enclosures and setting them up. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
I am actually looking into new tanks now and hoping to get a taller one soon, then I can get a new T for the current tank, but first things first, gotta keep the T i have happy first

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hi, and welcome to he forum. Get a better pic of the "white rocks". My guess is that it might be poop. Also, like the responses that you are receiving, avics are aboreal so you might want to look into setting up your enclosure for an aboreal species. They like to climb trees, so a tall corkbark tube would be a good start. All my T's are terrestrial, so I can't really give too much advice, but as you see, there are plenty of people on the Forum who can, and want to help you out. Best of luck to you!

somedude

Hello, sorry for the long wait on the reply, lost phone and password issues etc..... So here's a pic of the white rocks that showed up in the substrate

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_115017.jpg
    IMG_20221015_115017.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12

Latest posts