• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New keeper curious about OW tarantulas

Tarantulafeets

Just a few words of caution, watching videos of tarantulas is different from real experience with them, which is the main reason keepers guide newcomers towards the more low tempered and calm tarantulas instead of OW. Kind of like walking before you can run, you can learn the tarantula's behaviors and how they move but with less of a risk than say an OW.

But once you get the hang of rehousing and their speed, they can be really fun. My first t was an Lp, and my first OW was a C marshalli, and she is really laid back and is a sweetheart. Some people start by diving into the deep end, and that's perfectly fine, but the proper amount of research should be done first.

VaporRyder

Yes! I am giving all my spiders their own room once the tarantulas arrive so I can shut the door. There's nowhere to hide either. I have two small dogs, one only 2 or 3 pounds. I want to make sure to keep them apart. An interested dog investigating a runaway tarantula wouldn't end well.
When I first read this, I put two and two together with you mentioning that you had ordered 14 and thought “oh my, what a large house you have!” :p

ta122

Just a few words of caution, watching videos of tarantulas is different from real experience with them, which is the main reason keepers guide newcomers towards the more low tempered and calm tarantulas instead of OW. Kind of like walking before you can run, you can learn the tarantula's behaviors and how they move but with less of a risk than say an OW.

But once you get the hang of rehousing and their speed, they can be really fun. My first t was an Lp, and my first OW was a C marshalli, and she is really laid back and is a sweetheart. Some people start by diving into the deep end, and that's perfectly fine, but the proper amount of research should be done first.
I own other spiders already. Can you point out any behaviors unique to tarantulas that I may not have picked up on from reading here and watching videos? I appreciate all information I can get. =)

VaporRyder

I own other spiders already. Can you point out any behaviors unique to tarantulas that I may not have picked up on from reading here and watching videos? I appreciate all information I can get. =)
Great question! I don’t have any ‘true spiders’ personally so am very interested to hear from people who keep multiple orders or families (?) of arachnid.

ta122

Great question! I don’t have any ‘true spiders’ personally so am very interested to hear from people who keep multiple orders or families (?) of arachnid.
I have some skittish spiders who used to be pretty bolty. I know some of the Ts I got are faster, and I have been brainstorming ways to combat that issue. I have ideas. I'm going to build some enclosures, but it won't be right away. Fourteen tarantulas is pricey! Haha!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have some skittish spiders who used to be pretty bolty. I know some of the Ts I got are faster, and I have been brainstorming ways to combat that issue. I have ideas. I'm going to build some enclosures, but it won't be right away. Fourteen tarantulas is pricey! Haha!
There is no tarantula as fast as a huntsman spider, and very few as fast as a wolf spider. Does that help?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is no tarantula as fast as a huntsman spider, and very few as fast as a wolf spider. Does that help?
Fastest tarantula would be Pseudoclamoris gigas. This is from experience working with all the fast species in the hobby. They also jump great distances as well. Ive seen them leap over 6' out of their enclosures in my T room.
20210303_201209.jpg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fastest tarantula would be Pseudoclamoris gigas. This is from experience working with all the fast species in the hobby. They also jump great distances as well. Ive seen them leap over 6' out of their enclosures in my T room.View attachment 61467
.......and a P. gigas is a NW without urticating hairs! Love 'em.

ta122

Are* pricey ‍♀️

ta122

Fastest tarantula would be Pseudoclamoris gigas. This is from experience working with all the fast species in the hobby. They also jump great distances as well. Ive seen them leap over 6' out of their enclosures in my T room.View attachment 61467
That was on my list, and I decided last minute to get something else. When I got all my slings, the rehousing went pretty well. What I decided to do to err on the side of caution and prevent runaways was do all my rehousing inside a nylon, pop-up dog kennel. I could see what I was doing, but their chances of escape were slim. I was going to sew gloves into the side to bring that down to zero. The tarantulas were all cooperative except my avicularia purpureas. Little sh!ts! Haha!

ta122

That was on my list, and I decided last minute to get something else. When I got all my slings, the rehousing went pretty well. What I decided to do to err on the side of caution and prevent runaways was do all my rehousing inside a nylon, pop-up dog kennel. I could see what I was doing, but their chances of escape were slim. I was going to sew gloves into the side to bring that down to zero. The tarantulas were all cooperative except my avicularia purpureas. Little sh!ts! Haha!
6 feet is an insane jump! I think that would startle me in a bad way, and I own jumping spiders. Haha!

ta122

Depends what you buy and who you buy it from, just like anything else in life
Yes, true! I am cursed with expensive taste. Haha! I like the really colorful/rare tarantulas... with exceptions, of course. Do you have a favorite species?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, true! I am cursed with expensive taste. Haha! I like the really colorful/rare tarantulas... with exceptions, of course. Do you have a favorite species?
Ask me every month, right now it's O violaceopes lol but I love Poecilotheria

ta122

Ask me every month, right now it's O violaceopes lol but I love Poecilotheria
I could swear I responded to this, but I guess not. Both cool, indeed! I have a P. rufilata coming next week I'm pretty stoked about, and I have two O. violacepes also. They couldn't be more different. One is super chill and shy and afraid of its food. The other starts slapping the ground if she even sees me. Feisty little thing!

What's your draw to those? I prefer arboreals, but they're all gorgeous species! I love the stark contrast in colors of the Poecilotheria genus. Those, Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus and Tapinauchenius are all pretty badass!

Latest posts