• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Enclosure?

rénee

3 Year Member
This is probably a ridiculous question, and i probably already can answer my own question but just looking for some extra feedback.

Last week i rehoused my G. Rosea into a smaller tank (a large flat faunarium) from my 10 gallon glass tank so i could do some cleaning and what not. I left her in there for a few extra days, but as i have noticed she has actually webbed up the place way more in the 3 days then she has in the months of being in the 10 gallon.

Should i just keep her in this new one now, how good are these faunariums? Im assuming for just a G.Rosea its ok since they don't require huge amounts of humidity or anything. Is it possibly too small for her, she is only 3inches.

Thanks guys :)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The rule of thumb is that enclosures should be 2 - 3 times the size of the legspan of the tarantula. When I googled a photo, the faunarium looks pretty large. They are more ideal than a glass tank because of the height of the walls and they are much lighter. Terrestrial tarantulas should not be allowed to fall several inches to the substrate if they decide to climb the walls, so shorter walls are preferable and require less substrate in depth.
I would leave her in the faunarium if it were me.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's shown a clear preference by webbing it up and making herself comfortable so fast. Some spiders prefer a smaller enclosure, that's just a fact. Leave her in there :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with @VanessaS on the size. Depends how big that faunarium is, i see 4 sizes for sale. If she's started webbing it already that means she likes it and has settled in ;) Unless it's smaller than the 2-3 x leg span size i'd leave her in there.

My rosea won't eat if she's in a large enclosure, or won't eat regular anyway. She's like 1/2" now, and I had her in a 2.75" square by 4" tall or so amac box. She didn't start eating regular until my son put her in a 1.5" diameter vial that one of our larger slings was shipped in. Now she eats every feeding day.

rénee

3 Year Member
Ok i figured she was just best in it, the only thing i don't like is that the dirt isn't high enough for her to burrow if she wants, but thats ok.

Here is a photo of the enclosure. The picture doesn't really show the size that much, but she does only take up like a corner of it at the moment.

@VanessaS, yes thats my girl. :T:

Attachments

• 20160425_213401.jpg
    20160425_213401.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17

VanessaS

3 Year Member
They don't burrow as much as they excavate their enclosure sometimes. You can add a little extra in piles here and there in between her stuff and see if she takes to moving it around.

rénee

3 Year Member
@VanessaS actually in all her months in being in the other enclosure she NEVER even tried to burrow, but i think it was about 4 or 5 days after in this new enclosure it looked as if she was trying to burrow in 1 spot, but the dirt isn't thick/sticky enough to form a burrow nor is it deep enough in this one.. so now she just gave up and is webbing instead lol.

Latest posts