• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New database for my Ts

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My son is in the process of building me a database specifically for my Tarantula records.

This is a screen shot of it so far.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@spidey noob Thinking about your comment about the ''venomous no'' maybe we'd be better using low, medium or high rather than yes or no
Well considering all tarantula have venom, that's going to confuse a lot of people who aren't familiar with these animals.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs So how would you label them? I thought low, medium and high would cover it more satisfactorily. I have also asked him to add in urticating hairs yes or no.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs So how would you label them? I thought low, medium and high would cover it more satisfactorily. I have also asked him to add in urticating hairs yes or no.
I like that idea. Or maybe you could say venom strength: and then label it as either weak, medium, or strong. For example venom from say a B.smithi would obviously be labeled as weak, while venom from a Psalmopoeus or Ephebopus species would be considered medium or above average. Obviously something like a pokie or H.maculata would be considered strong.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it was me I would use 1 to 5 for the venom. (Like on the tss web site)
That's just over-complicating things IMO. If someone asked me what the most potent tarantula is, it's hard to narrow it down to one species.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@spidey noob The TSS numbering is general care level rather than toxicity levels and 1-5 would need to be more precise

@Chubbs I was already replying to spidey noob when you posted but I agreed with you. I don't want to get too precise over levels

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Irdidopelma DO have urticating hairs.

Also P.vitta, like most pokies, max out around 7 inches. Metallica is a smaller species, maxing out around 6 to 6.5 inches, while ornata and rufilata can get up to 8-9 inches.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs Yes, I know Iridopelma have urticating hairs. Some of the info he's put on so far needs checking through by me and correcting. As for the P. vittata ours is currently 6.5'' so that's what he'd put in.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi @Enn49

Rather than "Adult Size" as this is your database, why not just place there "Latest Size" then add another line like "Date of Entry" for record purposes. ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@RedCapTrio It's still a work in progress so all suggestions are welcome. I'd like to have both current size an adult size on

Latest posts