• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New but not!

dryinidae1

New Member
Messages
6
Location
South Carolina
My name is Richard. Kept a couple of spiders in my days, but never a T. This spring I got the urge to look into it. Did a lot of watching Dave’s Little Beasties, Toms Big Spiders, Tarantula Collective, etc. Settled in on going right to the top. Bought a 1” sling of Omothymus violaceopes in hopes I might beat the odds and have the first T be female. Got it in mid April and it has grown fast and done well. Was told it was “best guess” 3-6 no. old. (Fear Not Tarantulas; I recommend them highly) Now it’s just gone through it’s fourth molt since I got it and now is about 4”+ on the diagonal. I’m not really sure what the big deal is about moving up the ladder so to speak. Probably a bigger handful than a New World but I’ve never been intimidated by poisonous animals or stinging insects. I would recommend it to anyone with the intelligence to do your homework and realize that you probably will never be able to curl up with it on the couch and watch a good movie but it sure makes for a eye catching conversation piece when people see it. Feed it probably more than you would recommend but at the next molt I will probably slow down alot with the feeding to now slow it’s growing down. It’s already the biggest spider I’ve ever seen! I reasoned get it past the sling stage fast and then ease up and make it want it. I have had a hard time with looking at the booklungs area to try to sex it. Only after this last molt has it begun to transition to arboreal as it is now out of the tunnel most of the time since I rehoused it. I plan to check out the last molt under my dissecting microscope. Image on th green top was after the 3rd molt; the remaining are after the 4th molt.
 

Attachments

  • FE89EE8A-E234-49A4-8DCE-EC5FFA2595F2.jpeg
    FE89EE8A-E234-49A4-8DCE-EC5FFA2595F2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 534FF33D-C923-4B25-9B95-1FDEB4960EAA.jpeg
    534FF33D-C923-4B25-9B95-1FDEB4960EAA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • F8BB6E4E-8BC0-40EB-81AC-96592263DEBF.jpeg
    F8BB6E4E-8BC0-40EB-81AC-96592263DEBF.jpeg
    767.7 KB · Views: 7
  • C1AFD473-BAE7-4627-921A-5A6390837A4B.jpeg
    C1AFD473-BAE7-4627-921A-5A6390837A4B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Tarantula Trooper

Well-Known Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Messages
1,128
Location
USA
Awesome spood! Have a O. Schioedti sling that isn't growing terribly fast which truly, I hope, is female as well! Happy Spoodering, and welcome to the forum.
 

Latest posts

Top