• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New and not an owner... Yet?

AurraSing

Hello world! I just wanted to join to take a look at what it takes to have a tarantula. I was just looking at tarantulas the other day and saw an Antilles and died. Those colours are beautiful! There's a reptile show coming near me in a few months and I will be deciding/setting up if I do decide to get one. I do have a few questions that will be pretty simple to answer for now.

Is there such thing as too big of tank? If I do get one I will want it to live it's best life. I'm a go big or go home kind of person. My house is ferret proof but my 3 fuzzies stay in a room unless I supervise the outting. Their room looks like a cosmic adventures. This would be the same for a tarantula... Except without cat trees and ball pits.

That being said. I have 3 ferrets and I make sure the humidity and temperature of the house is set to keep them (and me) healthy... Well my boyfriend does because I don't touch all that stuff.. I'm to busy playing with ferrets. Is it possible to keep a tank a certain way and not mess with my boyfriends perfect humidity balance in the house?

Do tarantulas actually like being handled and exploring? Would they rather just be left alone and deal with the giant hand that cleans their home? I don't have a fear of spiders but I have a fear of dropping a big one and it running away. Not only is that dangerous with ferrets but it will keep my stepson up at night.

Do I have to feed it caterpillars or those worms that look like caterpillars.. I have a fear of caterpillars and that's a deal breaker.

I think that's all my silly questions for now. Short answers are good. Like I said, I will be doing a lot of research before I get one. I saw a few topics like plants and tank decor and setting up a tank... But it's bed time and I have a whole forum to read later.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. You'll get plenty of great advice here.
No, tarantulas don't enjoy being handled although some are more tolerant than others. If you really want to handle them always do it over a soft surface like you bed, sofa or close to the floor so if it jumps or falls it can't fall far.
Tarantulas will eat crickets, roaches, mealworms etc.
If you have any more questions just ask.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome. I think Enn answered most of your questions.

Room temp suits most species well, anywhere from 70-80, and you don't need to worry about humidity for adults of most species. Just make sure they have a water dish all the time. No need for rocks or sponges in your water dish. Some species benefit from damp substrate when they are little babies. Once you decide which species interest you the most, more specific tips can be given.

Most species need no more than a 5 gallon tank, or a 10 gallon tank for some of the larger species. Any larger than that is unnecessary and in some cases could pose a falling danger.

I once made a list of the species that interested me the most. It was a very long list…

AurraSing

I was watching some videos for encloser cleaning and that triggered my ocd. Some had so much web in it. I run around my house a lot with a dust buster getting rid of old webs. I tend to leave the newer webs with the spiders in it because they catch the crazy amount of Lady bugs that I get. I'm trying to look for a species that doesn't go so web crazy. I'm doing a bit of research right now but any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was watching some videos for encloser cleaning and that triggered my ocd. Some had so much web in it. I run around my house a lot with a dust buster getting rid of old webs. I tend to leave the newer webs with the spiders in it because they catch the crazy amount of Lady bugs that I get. I'm trying to look for a species that doesn't go so web crazy. I'm doing a bit of research right now but any suggestions would be great.

Welcome to the forum, I created a thread listing good beginner species, all except for the C. versicolor, A. avic and GBB do not web very much unless molting.

https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/list-of-great-species-to-start-with.21517/