• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help

bestco

3 Year Member
Hi I really need advice asap, I have had tarantulas for two years now, but when I went into my t-blondi enclosure today I noticed little black flies flying around her enclosure? I've never experienced this before!!!!! the don't seem to settle they just seem to keep flying in circles, do I need to remove substrate and clean the whole tank? Or is there an easier way of getting rid of these pest????? Help

bestco

3 Year Member
Just done research on fungus gnats and phorid flies, they look like phorid flies how do you get rid of these horrible pests???? Or is this site full of noobs???????

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Isopods and springtails will help. It wouldn't hurt to change out the sub tho as well before adding them as your substrate is now probably full of eggs. Usually you can just keep the substrate drier but I wouldn't go too dry with a theraphosa.

bestco

3 Year Member
Thanks for your advise, ;) I was looking at getting isopods and springtails, will this help a lot??I have had her from a sling never had this issue before, so it was strange to see these flies!, don't worry I wouldn't let her humidity drop to much, like you said probably best to change the substrate which I will do on the weekend,

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Yes they should be a big help. They will out compete the flies/gnats for resources. They will also help keep mites in check in the same manor. You might get one buzzing around here and there but they won't be able to infest the enclosure.

bestco

3 Year Member
Ok thanks for your help i will order some today, ;) and hopefully it will sort the problem out

C.Woods

3 Year Member
hi does anyone know why my tarantula has gone pale, i think its at the pre moult stage but not sure, i darent feed him incase the criket does any harm to him. can anyone help

thanks

Latest posts