• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help setting up a GBB Enclosure

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you, & I didn't take that in the tiniest bit the wrong way. I like larger cage-sizes, feel that it's more natural as in nature, there are no walls. What Kiwi is in now has the same floor space, roughly, & it hasn't had trouble feeding at all. That is my biggest concern: stray crickets.
I have done a fair amount of GBB research, & I've seen a lot of semi-arboreal set-ups. They are considered to be as such in many circles. Again, I've heard from many that it's worked for their GBB, from many who've expressed concern, & from some who've been in the middle on the issue.
It isn't a done deal yet, however. Kiwi is still here in the old house while the enclosure is at our new house...done on purpose so I have time for more research. :)

I'm very glad that no offense was taken. :) Before I purchased my GBB slings, I also read some reports of folks keeping them as arboreals (of course, I actually saw a care sheet that said to keep them on moist sub, too!). I then researched their natural habitat, and saw that they were terrestrial and spoke to a keeper who had kept them for years who backed that up. I do give mine a little extra height, as they will sit a couple inches above the ground, but I'd be heartbroken if one were to fall and harm herself. I definitely hear where you're coming from, though.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
DARN YOU ALL & your voices of reason!! :)

View attachment 6452 View attachment 6453 View attachment 6454 View attachment 6455

I'm all for experimentation but not w/ innocent animals. Someday, if I have $$, I'll fly to Venezuela & do field research, but for now I'll stick to the tried & (boring) true.
Thing is, I have no $$ and thought to cut the rehousing cost for two of my other T's. I used a Christmas gift card to buy plants & had this great empty cage, and T's to provide for... Now I still have two cages to buy & a great, empty cage! ;)
As a reward, does anyone have an Avic or Pokie they want to give me?! ;) :p

I hear you about already having cages that you want to use. Gosh knows I've been there before (I've also had Ts that I ordered be MUCH larger than expected, then had to scramble to find a new enclosure). I'm sure with the creativity you showed with the setup you posted earlier, whatever you house it in wont be "boring". :)

I'll have to check on an extra Avic or Pokie... ;)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
. I'm sure with the creativity you showed with the setup you posted earlier, whatever you house it in wont be "boring".

Did you see the pics I posted? Now I'm worried the crickets will have places to hide! Evil little bugs!! Anything that will eat a hatchling reptile is a spawn of the Devil! ;)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did you see the pics I posted? Now I'm worried the crickets will have places to hide! Evil little bugs!! Anything that will eat a hatchling reptile is a spawn of the Devil! ;)

WOW! Is that the new set up? It's gorgeous! :)

HAHAHAHAHA! I am constantly cursing crickets...dirty, stinky, evil, escapey things! They may have places to hide, but I've found that they usually come out at night, and my Ts will grab them then.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
DARN YOU ALL & your voices of reason!! :)

View attachment 6452 View attachment 6453 View attachment 6454 View attachment 6455

I'm all for experimentation but not w/ innocent animals. Someday, if I have $$, I'll fly to Venezuela & do field research, but for now I'll stick to the tried & (boring) true.
Thing is, I have no $$ and thought to cut the rehousing cost for two of my other T's. I used a Christmas gift card to buy plants & had this great empty cage, and T's to provide for... Now I still have two cages to buy & a great, empty cage! ;)
As a reward, does anyone have an Avic or Pokie they want to give me?! ;) :p
Lol. I suspect you will find your very, very lucky T at your next reptile show if no one has any to donate. Mine are even smaller than your GBB or I would ship you one of mine. That enclosure deserves a good size T or have you thought about a communal? FUN!

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Update: pic of Kiwi in its new clothes. Finally out and webbing, just in the direction of a dead-end corner. :)
Y'all were right in advising I keep it in here; Kiwi doesn't seem to be a climber now & the other enclosure is better suited to a more arboreal T. Will be starting a new thread for input on that count.
image.jpg