• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Help from TF re. My next T.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am blessed with a wonderful wife who is just semi-tolerant of my addiction. I have been granted permission for one more T. I want an OW species. I don’t care if its arboreal or terrestrial. I have narrowed my choices to a female L. Vviolaceopes or to a RCF OBT. My decision hinges on your input.
What do you recommend?
Anyone who cares for either?
Thanks in advance.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just purely on looks, both are decent but the Singapore blue wins in my opinion.

They are both reputed to be challenging. A plus for the OBT is that either sex looks the same.

Only female Singapore blues are blue. The males are totally different.

If it's confirmed female and you can afford it, do the Singapore blue or else do the OBT.

Full disclosure: I don't have either but they sound interesting. Obviously, slings and juveniles are cheaper then adults...and probably safer.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK. An OBT it is. I knew I could count on my wonderful friends on this forum to give me the right “gouge”. The other site would have chided me in 10 different ways and, maybe, would have offered one constructive opinion. Before I order from Tanya at Fear Not, @Casey K. , do you have any OBTs for sale??

I got slated by "the other site" for buying an OBT juvi as my first T. As long as you are always aware of their capabilities and treat them with respect you'll be fine.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The site-that-shant-be-named!! I won't even go there!! Well, okay just once!!

They predicted a slow horrible death for my Versicolor and my Klugi, even suggested that I surrender my spiders to them immediately!!

I mean, you just don't go after the first T, especially the Versicolor!! Their "advice" led to escape after escape.

Look on the bright side!! Once you retain your sanity (barely) with those guys, you're 100x over qualified to keep any OBT even if it can grow wings and fly!!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK. An OBT it is. I knew I could count on my wonderful friends on this forum to give me the right “gouge”. The other site would have chided me in 10 different ways and, maybe, would have offered one constructive opinion. Before I order from Tanya at Fear Not, @Casey K. , do you have any OBTs for sale??
Not at the moment. I will have more stock in springtime! :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The site-that-shant-be-named!! I won't even go there!! Well, okay just once!!

They predicted a slow horrible death for my Versicolor and my Klugi, even suggested that I surrender my spiders to them immediately!!

I mean, you just don't go after the first T, especially the Versicolor!! Their "advice" led to escape after escape.

Look on the bright side!! Once you retain your sanity (barely) with those guys, you're 100x over qualified to keep any OBT even if it can grow wings and fly!!

A little 411. About the site that won't be named....lol.....I say this to folks all the time. It is recommended not to own an old world as your first T ....a lot of folks will condemn you for it. I say, if you research a tarantula enough and you're an ADULT, you can own any T as your first. That's just my opinion. I would even say so with responsible teenagers (parental consent), as well. As long as you care about the animal enough to research the care for it then I say go for it. If you make a mistake, you learn. Mistakes are made all the time in the hobby. No one is perfect.....even the professionals (lol). It doesn't matter if the T is old world or new world. As long as YOU feel comfortable enough owning it and caring for it and you love the animal; obtain one. Besides, we can't have enough tarantula owners in the hobby. :)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are old world tarantulas and !!! OLD WORLD (my God are you crazy). !!! tarantulas.

There are some that live in the new world but lack urticating hairs like old world.

For some people with asthma or allergies, COPD etc, the hairs may well be worse then the venom. In fact this might even rule out this type for a few people.

The arboreal ones are more tricky. I had way more problems with my first T, the versicolor, running amok when I was trying to feed her in the enclosure that was to small and even trying to go AWOL in her current cage before she webbed it up right.

By contrast, the balfouri, pulchripes, and yes even my Striata slings have been perfect little angels so far, not one threat display or bad decision.

I think it's better to start out with slings then adults and terrestrial ones instead of arboreal ones. Heck, my second one was my L Klugi, who just like the others was very well behaved.

She only gave me a few threat postures when she couldn't use her hide anymore due to being chubby. With no where to go, panic is understandable. A larger cage and larger hide was the fix.

Only thing with the OWs is that they are super fast, even if they so far have headed in the right direction!!

I think a good quality cage is what really makes or breaks you. Basically, that's the interface, not the T directly so much.

Basically, if I get my hands on a Terra Blue professional enclosure, I feel invincible!! Well, almost...

This website basically says the same thing about OWs, but at the very bottom gives a list of good first OW tarantulas. I used it when selecting my first pokie & my P striata has been perfect. Heck, I've underestimated it.

http://www.mikebasictarantula.com/Handling-OW-tarantulas.html

Of course I have no plans on getting sloppy or turning my back on any of them!!

The thing is that when you look at what people actually own and the order they get them, it doesn't really match the ladder system very much.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
With something like an OBT it's often worth putting them in a slightly larger container than you normally would at each rehousing to reduce the number of times they need to be disturbed.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They aren’t bad over there just set in their ways with certain things... Sometimes they seem like bullies I even got poked by that “Dark Den” YouTube guy over my bite video and he said something like “oh if this was just a normal person you’d all be going after him, double standards much” which was flattering at first but then I realised he’s a bit moody and unsubscribed lol, anyway it’s just a thing with forums like these, differing opinions are good if presented the right way

Edit: the moderators are gratuitous banners for anything, I shall never return lol
I like when they say in the other forums "please post picks of T and enclosure so we can help"....then OP gets ripped to shreads by all that post, even other newbies. Its like a shark feeding frenzy....blood in the water.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I learnt many years ago when I began keeping snakes that people will always disagree about the best way to keep them. When it comes to Ts there is less known about them and keepers are constantly learning new ways of doing things. I now keep an open mind and learn little bits here and little bits there and see what works best for me and my Ts.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I learnt many years ago when I began keeping snakes that people will always disagree about the best way to keep them. When it comes to Ts there is less known about them and keepers are constantly learning new ways of doing things. I now keep an open mind and learn little bits here and little bits there and see what works best for me and my Ts.
Excellent mindset to have.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Websites really do have their own culture. The problem is that keepers and individual animals aren't exact copies of each other.

When there is a cultist controlling mentality, conflict is just around the corner.

Latest posts