• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help decorating my enclosure

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
So basically I got this L . Parahybana, and I want to put her in a new enclosure and decorate it. She looks to be in a 20 gallon tank right now, but it's cracked. I'm also not sure if I want to get a lockable top or not. Seems like a good idea. The wiki on them tells me to put only 3 inches of substrate, but I was under the impression that they like to burrow? It has a hide away right now that is burrowed into the substrate with a little cave dome on it. Do they actually burrow?

Two, how big should I have the enclosure, is a 10 gallon tank big enough to house this T? It can grow upwards of 11 inches.

Any interesting facts, pictures, experiences would greatly be appreciated.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
I don't own a LP but from what I hear they tend to burrow when young but as they get older then tend to stay outside more. however this doesn't mean they won't burrow. so its really up to you about substrate depth

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Like I said it's in a 20 gallon tank right now, which seems a little big, I know I should be using a plastic container for an enclosure, but from what I've seen I don't need to regulate the humidity as much as i would with my avic avic. But it's got a crack in it, so I want to replace it with something I can easily see into. Since it's a great display T!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Lp is in a 20gal, but she is already well over 6" now.i gave her about 4" of sub with a hide sunk into one corner. She scrapped all the sub out of it until she was happy with it; she has not moved any other sub. I will post some pics a bit later.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 7" girl is in a 20 long. with 6" of sub, and will be in it for the remainder of her life.
My big ones don't burrow, and my little ones rarely do, but I like to give them the option if one day they decide too.
Humidity isn't much of an issue. LP are about as hardy as Ts get. I give mine a large water bowl, and that's it.

donna

3 Year Member
my adult has a log & a water bowl & a bit of plastic greanery on the back just so the tank isnt so plain as it is in the middle of our living room, she mostly just sits up on the log. our baby one about 12 months old has simial but on a smaller scale so just sits on a rock all day. both have plenty of substrate should they choose t o burrow but they havent. see the pics, my husbands hand is there for size reference on pic one & on pic 2 , the pinky purple water bowl is a lucozade lid, for size.
WP_000135.jpg
WP_000137.jpg

donna

3 Year Member
also the vented top of the large tank is covered on the outside to help with the humidity as these tanks are more for repiles etc

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I was thinking about getting a terrarium that is of decent size and putting a divider in the middle and separating the two spiders, is this a bad idea? I would fill the terrarium up with more substrate for my pink salmon, than I would for the pink toe. Decorate accordingly.

Or would they be constantly at each others throats if they saw each other through that divider?

Atx13

3 Year Member
Not a good idea, mainly because the two Ts your housing have way different needs, and secondly because they may still find a way into the others home and make a meal of the other...

donna

3 Year Member
we have one viv seperated for two ts, given they are both less than one year old. if done properly this can work. temp does need to be taken in to consideration but ours are divided with wood , coated in sticky back plastic.
one side is our fireleg & the other side ( in a tub for a while longer till older is our martinique pink toe)
the ts cannot see each other & have no way of getting to each other this is the important thing.
we have had no problems maintaining suitable environments for each spider within one tank.
WP_000140.jpg
WP_000141.jpg

donna

3 Year Member
i totally respect your opinion kenny but this is a fixed divider in a temporary tank until our slings are old enough for their permenant homes.

donna

3 Year Member
no it shouldnt. as long as if you are stacking vivs onto each other you take into account the weight of the sub etc & make sure you arent blocking any air vents.
ts have taken over my living room, lol i have 6 in here already & a custom built shelf to accomodate :)

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I have them in my room, which has little space, and I'm staying with my mom while I'm in school. Pretty sure shed kill me if she found out I got another T! :p So i'm trying to make it not so obvious that I have another one. But I'll be sure to calculate everything before I go about's doing so.

donna

3 Year Member
we started with 1 & now have 7 its like an addiction, some people like shoes, we like ts :)
its 1.10am here so i need to get off facebook & the forum & get some sleep.
night.
hope you find the right viv & your mums not too freaked out.