• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My terrarium. Opinions?

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
It's a lovely enclosure. I still would not put a terrestrial t in it. Would it be okay? Probably. Would I chance it? No way. It's your spider though, so it's totally up to you. It really is nice, he did a great job building it!

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
-laMort. ... always refer to a care sheet as that is the ideal requirements always suggested and the data is mostly captured by scientists in the field.

If only this were true, sadly, it is not.
I would argue most of the "care sheets" out there are written by some individual with little experience, basing their research on other "care sheets". There are some good "care sheets" out there, don't get me wrong; you just have to be very critical and validate what you find with additional resources. Just because it is written, does not make it fact.
There are also plenty of people out there all too willing to offer their opinion, deficient experience and all. In this case, too, you want to be sure the people offer advice are somewhat worth their salt.
Experience speaks volumes in either case.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
That's a bit high for a terrestrial T, it would be better for an arboreal, but if you absolutely must use it, add a few extra inches of substrate to lessen the space from top to floor. I use a 10-gallon tank for my B. smithi ,which is a little large, but with extra substrate she does just fine.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
That's a bit high for a terrestrial T, it would be better for an arboreal, but if you absolutely must use it, add a few extra inches of substrate to lessen the space from top to floor. I use a 10-gallon tank for my B. smithi ,which is a little large, but with extra substrate she does just fine.

Atleast in Europe, 30x30x30 is the most used terrarium for terrestial T's

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
It just doesn't make sense to me. If they are so prone to falling and injuring themselves why do they bother? Has anyone actually had a T fall in it's cage and die? I wonder how they cope in the wild with falling.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Terrestrial T's in the wild would most likely be in underground burrows or under rocks etc, and they generally do not travel very far from their dens/burrows, so I would think the risk of them falling is very low in the wild. Not to mention we are supposed to keep them safer than they would be in the wild :D I have read some people who have had their T's suffer ruptured abdomens as well as their t's losing legs. It may not be super common, but it is a risk I would definitely seek to avoid. I agree with those who said that the enclosure is much better suited to an arboreal species. That said, I think it is a beautiful set up :)

Cobalt

3 Year Member
Terrestrial T's in the wild would most likely be in underground burrows or under rocks etc, and they generally do not travel very far from their dens/burrows, so I would think the risk of them falling is very low in the wild. Not to mention we are supposed to keep them safer than they would be in the wild :D I have read some people who have had their T's suffer ruptured abdomens as well as their t's losing legs. It may not be super common, but it is a risk I would definitely seek to avoid. I agree with those who said that the enclosure is much better suited to an arboreal species. That said, I think it is a beautiful set up :)

Don't you think an adult specimen would be fine in a 30xH enclosure? Seeing as you'll have a few inches with substrate which will lower the height from 30cm and an on average an adult size T is 15cm+. That would mean that the T could stand on its hind legs and almost touch the top of the tank. There's no need to be overprotective. The chance of your tarantula rupturing (unless its super fat and then its your god damn fault) from that height is the same as it getting struck by lightning.

Hope im not standing out as agressive or anything but I have just had way to many argues with people claiming that 30 cm is too high for an adult specimen and I disagree and get frustrated, hehe :p

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think that if your spider can stand up and basically touch the top that it would be fine. I keep our rosie in a 10 galleon (which is over kill to a lot of people), but have it very full of substrate, and I keep her 'decorations' fairly smooth/soft so if she were to climb (she isn't much of a climber) there wouldn't be much risk of damage. I just commented on the enclosure that was in the picture...you'd need a pretty huge tarantula in there for it to be able to stand up and almost touch the top in that tank lol.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
I think that if your spider can stand up and basically touch the top that it would be fine. I keep our rosie in a 10 galleon (which is over kill to a lot of people), but have it very full of substrate, and I keep her 'decorations' fairly smooth/soft so if she were to climb (she isn't much of a climber) there wouldn't be much risk of damage. I just commented on the enclosure that was in the picture...you'd need a pretty huge tarantula in there for it to be able to stand up and almost touch the top in that tank lol.

My apologies, i do believe i went a little off topic!! I talked about 30cm high enclosures in general, hehe. And I agree with you, without adding more substrate you'd need a LP or something like that to be able to touch the top of the tank in that enclosure.