• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tarantula is moving strangely. Help!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i think it was coused in my t from flea treatment for my dog and cats
This is a possiblity if possible put your T in a room away from your cats and dogs - keep her well ventilated and make water readily available to her-- it's not a death sentence for all they can survive it, it may take a long time for her to get over it but all you can do is try your best

Coradams

Perhaps it is possible that petting the dog may have transferred some oil residue to your hand which in turn transferred to a feeder. Also, aerosols from the carpet spray may have gotten into the enclosure. It is a theory that the neurotoxins in insecticides cause DKS as the symptoms of DKS appear to be neurological. My instinct would be to transfer the T to a clean enclosure with new bedding ect. and move it to a pesticide free room. There have been cases of ts with dks being fine after a molt. Others with more experience in this may have suggestions. Good luck! I'm hoping your t pulls through.

cooper

update she has not been driking water and has gone into death curl luckily i caught this in time and got her to drink and shes looking better than before also iv started using heat treatment

tapkoote

3 Year Member
If possible, I'd move the T to a room that hasn't been treated. Shampoo the rug and return T after the rug is dry. If fleas persist, vacuum every day. I don't use any pesticides on the property, do treat my cat with oil. I don't handle my T either.
You could try putting the T outside in fresh air during the day, see if that changes anything. Good luck.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A. seemani is a warm weather tarantula. The German article that recommended heat therapy suggested, as did a small sample of Ts on arachnoboards in 2018, works better on tarantulas from hot climates.
It is worth a try. We are rooting for you!!!!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's why we keep the hobby going. Keep breeding them. These tarantulas aren't endangered due to mother nature's natural cycle. These animals are endangered because of us (human beings). It's our job to take care of all of the animals on the planet. Sometimes doing what's right (imo) should be greater than man's written law. Doing something for the greater good....know what I mean?

cooper

If possible, I'd move the T to a room that hasn't been treated. Shampoo the rug and return T after the rug is dry. If fleas persist, vacuum every day. I don't use any pesticides on the property, do treat my cat with oil. I don't handle my T either.
You could try putting the T outside in fresh air during the day, see if that changes anything. Good luck.
i can not the t out side right now it is 100+ degrees out side for me right now

Kagu

I’m sorry. It’s nothing you could do to stop it. It’s just a disease they get. It’s heartbreaking. Maybe the other people are right. But when Lola got it. I just let her finish her life as peaceful as I could. Best of luck. Hope she pulls through!

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
she did not make it and passed away
Sorry my friend, my condolences :( @Casey K. Was correct, it was dks from flea treatment on your carpets. Here's a link to further elaborate https://tomsbigspiders.com/2014/05/24/dks-dyskinetic-syndrome-in-tarantulas/
Don't kick yourself it's not your fault, we all learn and become better keepers from learning, I've been a keeper for several years and have had many T's pass away. I pray that you will get a beautiful T very soon and that she will be healthy and beautiful to make you happy again. Best regards my friend.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would add, we don't really understand DKS. Pesticides seem to be a cause, but there are plenty of Ts that can seemingly swim in flea spray and Roundup without a blink. Personally, I believe DKS is a final common pathway for many problems (infections, inflammations, parasites)...anything that inflames the primitive neurological structures in these both hearty and delicate creatures. I hope we become better at treatment as time goes on.

Coradams

I am so sorry for your loss. If it helps in the future, we use the pills for flea control for our dogs as opposed to the topical oils. That way there is no residue that can come off on your hand when you pet your pooch. (And I think they work better. ) Best of in the future.