• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My rose hair shows all signs of pre molt...but not molting..

dldietri

3 Year Member
I have had my rose haired tarantula for 18 years now. She has always had clean molts with no complications. Her last molt was over 2 years ago (closer to 3). She has always used a molt mat and molted quickly after she made it. She started showing signs of premolt almost 2 weeks ago now. Her molt mat was made about 8 days ago. She say in it for about 2 days, then started moving around her cage again. Now she goes over to the mat and turns around and goes to another part of her cage and just sits around. I have been keeping her cage at 70* humidity and between 75*-80* F temperature. One day she spent a while trying to climb up the corner of her cage and (I'm pretty sure) drank some water out of her water bowl (I say pretty sure because I watched her through a 'nanny cam' that I have set up with my computer so I can watch her while I'm at work and it's hard to see some things clearly).
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is her starting her mat last week
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is her mat finished. She hasn't flipped over at all (her molts have always been on her back except for the last one which she did on her side). She was a few months old when I got her, so she isn't much more the 18 years.
Does anyone know if this is all normal? She has NEVER had a molt take this long...it's starting to make me nervous and the anticipation is driving me crazy! Any thoughts would be very helpful. Anyway to help speed the process along (if thats what she may need)?

Thanks!
Dee

Latest posts