• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new T

Eddie84

Hi everyone.
This is my first time in a forum of any kind so please bear with me. I have just got my lovely T (mexican red rump) no name yet so any suggestions? I had a Chilean rose many years ago but didn't really do much research so would like to be a much more responsible T owner. I'm currently feeding her morio worms which keep burrowing and am worried about leaving them in her tank overnight. Every time I see her in the morning she has them in her jaws with the substrate dug up but she seems to be a lot more sluggish recently so don't want her getting hurt by them if she's premoult. I welcome any comments.

Attachments

• IMG20230206015847.jpg
    IMG20230206015847.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG20230206140743.jpg
    10.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230124_004059.jpg
    IMG_20230124_004059.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone.
This is my first time in a forum of any kind so please bear with me. I have just got my lovely T (mexican red rump) no name yet so any suggestions? I had a Chilean rose many years ago but didn't really do much research so would like to be a much more responsible T owner. I'm currently feeding her morio worms which keep burrowing and am worried about leaving them in her tank overnight. Every time I see her in the morning she has them in her jaws with the substrate dug up but she seems to be a lot more sluggish recently so don't want her getting hurt by them if she's premoult. I welcome any comments.
Welcome to the forum and officially the hobby.

I would suggest crushing the worm’s head before offering it to your tarantula. It will still move a little bit, but it will not burrow.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the forum ,I normally drop the morio worm in and see if the T grabs it .If it shows no interest I remove with a tongs .

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum.

Morioworms are a good high protein food, but are not good for regular feeding, as they are also high in fat. And being fat makes molting more difficult. mealworms or roaches again, with the head crushed or crickets make better food for regular feeding. When feeding Dubia roaches I find the best way to feed them, is by dropping them in on thier backs, as like that they move their legs more. Always removed any uneaten food after 24 hours, unless you have a T that takes longer to get around to feeding. I have a couple I leave food in for 48 hours.

With morioworms, mealworms & roaches, crushing the head leaves them moving for the next 24 hours with ease & normally still moving after 48 hours. So nothing is lost crushing their heads & it stops your T from being bitten. Morioworms can bite, mealworm's change into darkling beetles & all pose a danger to a tarantula that is molting. So allowing even mealworms to burrow is a poor idea.

Also, Darkling Beetles release a noxious gas when attacked. So they will not make a good food source unless their head has been crushed.

Eddie84

Welcome to the forum.

Morioworms are a good high protein food, but are not good for regular feeding, as they are also high in fat. And being fat makes molting more difficult. mealworms or roaches again, with the head crushed or crickets make better food for regular feeding. When feeding Dubia roaches I find the best way to feed them, is by dropping them in on thier backs, as like that they move their legs more. Always removed any uneaten food after 24 hours, unless you have a T that takes longer to get around to feeding. I have a couple I leave food in for 48 hours.

With morioworms, mealworms & roaches, crushing the head leaves them moving for the next 24 hours with ease & normally still moving after 48 hours. So nothing is lost crushing their heads & it stops your T from being bitten. Morioworms can bite, mealworm's change into darkling beetles & all pose a danger to a tarantula that is molting. So allowing even mealworms to burrow is a poor idea.

Also, Darkling Beetles release a noxious gas when attacked. So they will not make a good food source unless their head has been crushed.
Thanks for the information I can see that I'm going to learn a lot on this forum.

MattB78

Hi everyone.
Welcome! Are you in the UK? If so, I use locusts (hoppers), they are really good nutrition, don't bury so are easy to remove if not eaten. These are not available in many countries, so we're lucky, but it's why you don't see many videos about them.

Enjoy your T!

Latest posts