• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My miracle babies

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Such a wonderful story @Thistles! Congratulations on your babies! It's terrible that mom abandoned them but you were their saving grace surrogate!!! :). How are they doing now? :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
Such a wonderful story @Thistles! Congratulations on your babies! It's terrible that mom abandoned them but you were their saving grace surrogate!!! :). How are they doing now? :)
10 or 11 (it's bad that I don't remember) are still 1i. I have 2 that are EWL and I don't think they're going to make it, but they're not moldy or deflated yet so I've still got them. 2 of the 1i are getting dark so maybe they'll molt soon. They're all in their separate little cups to keep them from eating one another.

I don't know exactly what went wrong, but I'm very lucky to have found them when I did. If they'd stayed like that much longer they would have suffocated. There seemed to have been a lot of slings in a very small egg sac. Maybe things were too damp in her enclosure, but I don't think so. I wish I knew what went wrong so I could prevent the same problem from happening in the future, but at least I learned that washing works.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Thistles

It's not something YOU did wrong. It's nature in confinement. I'm sure she had a reason (despite how immoral and inhumane it is in the human world for doing such with our own) and it's very sad. You should pat yourself on the back!! :). I had some A. seemani eggs that I've washed (never ewl's) and laid across a clean rag for incubation. Actually, a few people purchased some of those very babies from me! :). They were molding up just as yours were. This was last year. I suppose they enjoy a nice bath, lol. Anyway, it worked and most of mine made it all the way past 2i. If your intentions are pure in the time of need I'm sure there will be some sort of positive outcome in the long run. ;)

Thistles

3 Year Member
@Thistles

It's not something YOU did wrong. It's nature in confinement. I'm sure she had a reason (despite how immoral and inhumane it is in the human world for doing such with our own) and it's very sad. You should pat yourself on the back!! :). I had some A. seemani eggs that I've washed (never ewl's) and laid across a clean rag for incubation. Actually, a few people purchased some of those very babies from me! :). They were molding up just as yours were. This was last year. I suppose they enjoy a nice bath, lol. Anyway, it worked and most of mine made it all the way past 2i. If your intentions are pure in the time of need I'm sure there will be some sort of positive outcome in the long run. ;)
Oh, that's great info to have. I had never heard of washing before, but I figured it was worth the gamble since they'd die anyway if I didn't do it. I'll keep in mind that it's possible for eggs, too. It's not something I'd recommend except as a last resort, but it's good to expand the toolbox.

Thistles

3 Year Member
@Thistles I don't know whose luckiest that you found them, you or the little ones. I can't wait to see photos of them when they reach 2i.
I'll post some pics soon. One of them (that's really dark now) has always been a bit darker than the rest. I have old pics of it and now I'll get updated ones. The legs aren't dark like I usually see, but its little abdomen is brown as anything. I'm keeping it for sure if it survives to see if it ends up colored strangely.

Thistles

3 Year Member
image.jpeg

Above: the darkest one today
Below: the dark one right after molting to 1i. The one pictured half-molted didn't free itself and is still stuck like that but alive. The other EWLs in that pic are dead. Poor little beasts.
image.jpeg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ohh, well done little one. I'm guessing that's the first so fingers crossed for the rest.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's so amazing. Congrats Thistles! Anyone seeing that sack would have to think that would have been impossible. :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
how are those 9 miracles doing?
The ones I kept are doing great! I gave half to the person who gave me their daddy as a freebie when he was just a little sling and kept the rest. They're still little but they eat well and are healthy, normal kids. Thanks for checking in on them. :)

Latest posts