• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My G. pulchra's strange habit

SpiderHouseRules

3 Year Member
I have a 3 1/2" G. pulchra that I keep in a 18x18x12 Exo Terra. Whenever it starts excavating and moving substrate around he will always pile it up in his water dish. He has the whole floor area to move substrate to but he always piles it up on his dish.

This particular tarantula likes to drink and I often find it resting over the water dish so it just seems weird that this is where he chooses to pile up substrate.

Anyone have thoughts on this or maybe the reason he does it?

Thanks,

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
um...cause they aint that smart and dont really realize where they r putting their dirt....lol thats my guess. ima always unpiling my spider's water bowls.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think they think it's going to sink and hide the fact they are burrowing. Same thing with their bolus' so many of them toss them in the water. Makes you wonder if it's to help them stay hidden and safe.

Last edited:

david11

3 Year Member
my a geniculata did that too! but now,she literally moved and buried her water dish below her damn hide xD silly T's

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
my a geniculata did that too! but now,she literally moved and buried her water dish below her damn hide xD silly T's

I've had a couple do the same so I just gave them another bowl. When I rehoused one T I found 3 bowls in its old container.