• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My First Tarantula; G. rosea. Lots of Questions!

Buzz Baby

3 Year Member
Hello All!

I'm new to the hobby, and I really wanted to share a few pictures of my first tarantula. I'm already totally addicted and I hope to get some more soon!

imag0818-jpg.10388

(She's extremely relaxed, and readily allows me to handle her. I think she likes the heat from my hands. This picture was taken when I opened the lid and allowed her to roam around. She was in her burrow before.)

imag0820-jpg.10390

(Picture taken immediately after I had closed the tank and noticed her pretty fangs :D )

SO! Since I'm new, and inexperienced, could somebody let me know if this dear thing looks healthy? I have to work on lowering the humidity in the tank so she's more comfortable, but other than that I'm not sure if there is anything else to do.

Also, is this really a G. rosea? I only ask because she has this vibrant shiny blue/purple carapace which is slightly visible in the top picture. It's really an amazing pop of color.

One more thing! Since I will be on the look-out for more T's very soon, which would be some great T's for beginners? I'm looking at Mexican Red Knees and Chaco Golden Knees (Just because they're so pretty!) But I would really also like a species that isn't very aggressive (No Baboons, please!) that grows fairly large, because why not?

Any help would be appreciated!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a G.porteri, which is often called G.rosea. some consider them the same species, others don't. Care is similar to G.rosea. Bone-dry substrate.

Latest posts