1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first scorpion!

Discussion in 'Scorpion Talk' started by Nastyjabs, May 4, 2017.

1. Nastyjabs

Nastyjabs Member

Went to the Orange County Pet Expo this past weekend and picked up a giant desert hairy scorpion. I was nervous asking my wife if I could get one but luckily she was all for it! Anyone have experience with this species? I know they don't handle moisture very well as it can kill them. So I currently don't have any kind of water dish in its enclosure. Anything else I should look out for? I read they can be a bit aggressive yet the guy selling them was placing them in everyone's hands that walked by. He also had a couple crawling all over him as he was making sales! 20170429_210023.jpg
    IamKrush, MassExodus and Enn49 like this.
  2. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

I have two older juveniles. They live in sand/excavator clay, never show themselves, and burrow like nothing I've ever seen before. I give all of my species a water dish, but with these guys I just let it dry out and stay empty a few weeks, then refill. I've had them for a year or so, and twice I've simulated rain on one side of the enclosure. They dont seem to mind, and it dries out quickly in that substrate, with plenty of ventilation. It just seems natural to me, to give them some rain occasionally.
    Nastyjabs likes this.
  3. Nastyjabs

Nastyjabs Member

Ok cool, thanks for the advice!
    MassExodus likes this.
  4. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member

I got taken in by the selfie scorpion trick. I went to repticon in February and she was an impulse buy. The ambient temperature was about 63 to maybe 65 inside.

H. Spinifer isn't a desert scorp and they like it hot. At the proper 80 degrees 70% humidity, she's hell on wheels.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017