• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first molt

TheJuicyFruit

3 Year Member
My p scrofa stopped eating for a few weeks, went into her den, blocked off the entrance with substrate and webbed it up visibly (very unlike her) I can see some web coming out the back, which looks like a molting mat. I really hate that she's doing this in her hide, because I cant see if something goes wrong, and I'm worried she might not have enough room. Do T's often molt in their hides/burrows? Are complications more common when they molt this way?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My p scrofa stopped eating for a few weeks, went into her den, blocked off the entrance with substrate and webbed it up visibly (very unlike her) I can see some web coming out the back, which looks like a molting mat. I really hate that she's doing this in her hide, because I cant see if something goes wrong, and I'm worried she might not have enough room. Do T's often molt in their hides/burrows? Are complications more common when they molt this way?

It's very common for tarantulas to molt in their burrows or under their hides.They are very vulnerable during and right after this process, so it behooves them to do it somewhere they feel safe. This is a totally natural behavior. Many of my slings will even appear to bury themselves when they are in premolt by closing off the openings to their dens. Just try to keep in mind that these are hardy creatures who institutionally know what's best for them. They wouldn't try to molt in a space that didn't allow enough room for the process.

Hopefully, you get to catch some or all of the process...it's quite fascinating! :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They do this because it's what they'd do in the wild. Molting out in the open is a good way to get eaten.

TheJuicyFruit

3 Year Member
Well, I woke up about an hour ago, and she still hadn't emerged. I decided to take a shower and ask how long is too long for her to be holed up like this, but when I came back to my room after my shower, she was out, and molted! I'm guessing the exoskeleton is still in her den. :) Thanks for keeping me grounded.