• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My equador pink toe sling died :(

jon ross

3 Year Member
Hi people. Today i discovered that my equador purple pink toe sling died.

I dont know what i did wrong. I misted the slings once a week and made sure they had food. Im not sure if it was eating as i dont see them eating ever.

Ive tried both tiny crickets and bits of cricket. Is there any tips on feeding aboreal slings as i dont wana loose my versicolor or avic avic

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
I'm very sorry for your lost :/ do you plan on getting another one? Anyways in my option you didn't do anything wrong

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
I'm glad my babies are doing alright so far I had them for a few days and mine only eat dead crickets but sorry for your lost

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Did it ever make a good web? I feed mine by putting a small live cricket into the entrance of my versi's tube web. He doesn't always attack it right away, I rarely see him make the move but I've seen him a few times with a cricket in his mouth. Other times I just drop a live cricket into the enclosure on the bottom, the cricket will usually climb the silk leaves and end up close to the web, and my versi takes care of it from there. I've also tried feeding him large cricket legs, which he accepted.

I keep my versi sling between 75-80 degrees F (give or take a few). I mist pretty much daily, and make sure his little cap of water is always full. His enclosure has plenty of ventilation. I hear some people like to leave their avics' enclosures bone dry, aside from a water dish and that seems to work well. I would suggest talking to @Martin Oosthuysen, he seems to have raising avics down to a science and his enclosures are genius.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Did it ever make a good web? I feed mine by putting a small live cricket into the entrance of my versi's tube web. He doesn't always attack it right away, I rarely see him make the move but I've seen him a few times with a cricket in his mouth. Other times I just drop a live cricket into the enclosure on the bottom, the cricket will usually climb the silk leaves and end up close to the web, and my versi takes care of it from there. I've also tried feeding him large cricket legs, which he accepted.

I keep my versi sling between 75-80 degrees F (give or take a few). I mist pretty much daily, and make sure his little cap of water is always full. His enclosure has plenty of ventilation. I hear some people like to leave their avics' enclosures bone dry, aside from a water dish and that seems to work well. I would suggest talking to @Martin Oosthuysen, he seems to have raising avics down to a science and his enclosures are genius.

Oh and Martin is def a good guy to talk to. :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I dont know what i did wrong. I misted the slings once a week and made sure they had food. Im not sure if it was eating as i dont see them eating ever.

Ive tried both tiny crickets and bits of cricket. Is there any tips on feeding aboreal slings as i dont wana loose my versicolor or avic avic

Hello
Okay,
- What's the average temperature in your apartment ?
- What size is the sling ? Just an estimate.
- How large is its enclosure ?
- Do you mist on the T or on the sides ?
- Do you use pinheads for small slings ?
- What type of enclosure do you use ?
These are a few questions I felt I should ask,I will think more and see what I've left out. What type of Avic was it ? If its the Avic sp. Peru purple,I've noticed with all mine they are full of nonsense with prey I had to drop in 3 or 4 pinheads which are very small for her to eat. That prey is way smaller,and that's when she excepted it. Can I just say one thing,we all are learning NEVER FEEL you can't ask questions we are a family here.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Thank you very much guys and girls!

Right ill do my best in answering all questions

Yea i am going to get another one,

It was a puru purple i think. It was just called an equador purple pink toe by the spider shop,

It was roughly 1cm spread out

I misted the sides of the encloure once a week and not on the web or her

Yes she made loads of beautiful web and i did give legs or very small crickets but never really saw her eat

I saw her take a bit of cricket body off the tongs when i first got her and thats it

She was in a 500ml plastic jar with top and side holes with no dish as is so small and on peat with a talk cork bark and sum fake plant

The temp in the room on average is around 20 degrees c

I was told by my local shop that they are a rainforest spider and need more moisture than your average avic

Thanks again everyone :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Okay let's do this in steps
- try my new style enclosures
- Feed pinheads not small crickets to slings, I have seen them feed more comfortably like that.
- I mist every second day,and I keep the substrate damp not soaked.
- I try and keep my room Temperature around 23-25(I try not to drop it below 20)on average,I suggest trying to get a thermostat.
- When feeding pinheads,you can add 2-3 since they cannot harm the T at that size, also get an enclosure not too big. Please refer to my attempts on the new enclosure style.
After all of this,let me just say I'm not just speaking out of I think this might work I've tried it. Also this allows beginner to have less issues with Avics,a person having them for years wouldn't care about this. I myself use these things, I have had zero Avic sling losses. The Peru purple or known as Avic sp. Peru purple,have been harder to raise but are all doing well. The one specimen I have is around 1cm maybe more max,he/she has taken pinheads with ease. Please feel free to ask anything you might feel I've left out,or missed.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Ok cool. Yea im up for following your advice mate. What sort of enclosures do you use as i wanted to make something different any way

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
These ones I use for my slings,nothing fancy but works 100% webbing within a day or two. No disturbance to the T when doing substrate maintenance or feeding it, also the webbing doesn't get destroyed since its at the top and the plastic plant is soldered to the top half as well. I use two deli cups, one as the top and one as a quarter of a cup as its bottom.
uploadfromtaptalk1396877650700.jpg

The following is for larger specimens,juveniles etc. A plastic bottle container with a lid which has some depth, the lid houses the substrate yet again no disturbance whatsoever. When I feed I turn over the top drop the item in,if it doesn't take it I just turn it over feeder out.

uploadfromtaptalk1396877941148.jpg

You will note that the Avic Versi color on the left was housed after the one on the right,the versi also spun within 24 hours of rehousing. I have done the 3rd one with an Avic Azuraklaasi, she also has spun within 24hours.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Remember as you're learning about Avics,so am I with pokies. I'd never argue with some people I have gotten to know on this genus,I'd say I will test my theories but knowing what they said. I want to learn all there is too learn about certain genera,and with others the above basics. I'm looking into behavior,housing etc. So what I'm trying to say is,I'm in training just like you haha.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Something else you should read up on SDS sudden death syndrome,its a term Avic collectors have given to Avics that just suddenly die. There is no warning whatsoever,I personally believe there is like an exterior impact from the enclosure stress levels etc. To simplify it,look at young people looking healthy bam heart attack. In most cases it can be traced to genes or unhealthy lifestyle stress etc, so again I believe there is a reason.

jujubees

3 Year Member

Sorry to hear that mate :\ Both of my adult T's died a couple months ago during a 6 day power outtage and freezing temps due to an ice storm. So I feel with ya man

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Martin what do you use to put holes in thick plastic? Looks like you heat up a nail and poke it through but I can't tell.

Hello
I use the point of a soldering iron,if you have one with a sharp point it works well. Same as I do to attach the plant to the top,I stick the point of the plant through and melt it.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Jon I've just had great news,another Avic molted one of my three Avic Purpurea slings with no problems. I think we all could work together,and soon sort out issues with Avics making it a more beginner friendly T to have. We could swap more info as time goes on,better on ideas etc.

Latest posts