• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Chile Rose and her house..

FeebeeDawn

3 Year Member
I'm new to owning a tarantula and she's a chile rose, her name is lilah and when I got her she was alreay with a set up with everything, the soil thingy that was in the tank was fairly dry and on the hydrometer it was about 55-60 but I recently changed it and it went to 60 but now the humidity has gone up to about 80, I don't know if its cause the new stuff is damp? but I have only a water bowl in it along with a hide which has a heat mat on the hide side as its quite cool in my room, basically I just want to make sure she will be okay and its not too high for her?
I would appreciate any tips and advice for owning her! I'm currently doing work experience in a reptile shop and the owner has told me quite a bit but i cant get a hold of him over the weekend, so I would love someone to help me! <3 thank you!
Love Phoebe and Lilah

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ditch the hydrometer, these are a desert species and like bone dry conditions. Get a space heater to help warm up the room. I don't like heat mats for invertebrates as they can be dangerous.

FeebeeDawn

3 Year Member
Ditch the hydrometer, these are a desert species and like bone dry conditions. Get a space heater to help warm up the room. I don't like heat mats for invertebrates as they can be dangerous.
well the heat mat is under the actual tank which I was told to do

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well the heat mat is under the actual tank which I was told to do
You're better off taking advice from people who specialize in tarantulas. This is a good place for getting helpful information.

Tarzan152

3 Year Member
I would say no. Just use a space heater.
So you're saying I should keep the heat mat, add a space heater and put a water bowl with a napkin so my sling doesn't drown? Ha.. j/k (inside joke, in my head that is). FeeBeeDawn, if Chubbs suggests you get rid of the heat mat and get a space heater, I would take his advice. I've secretly learned a good number of things from Chubbs and my T is the better spider for it.

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Hi there
Please listen to Chubbs and remove the heat mat. Space heater is much better and would heat up the whole room where a heat mat just heats a certain area and can lead to hot spots in your tarantulas tank which could harm your tarantula. Keep the substrate dry and just add a water dish, I have learned that my
Chile Rose wont set a foot on wet or even damp substrate. :D