• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My B.Boehmei sling molted today

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Happened while I was at work. I have a little LED torch I use to check inside her hide. The first thing I noticed was how much smaller her abdomen was, and then the white carapace. Her legs are also much brighter. I'm still trying to find the exuvium but it's no where to be seen. Another funny thing is little web patches she made in random places all over the substrate. Any ideas where it could be? They don't eat it do they? I can't get a great pic because of the water droplets on the glass.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Happened while I was at work. I have a little LED torch I use to check inside her hide. The first thing I noticed was how much smaller her abdomen was, and then the white carapace. Her legs are also much brighter. I'm still trying to find the exuvium but it's no where to be seen. Another funny thing is little web patches she made in random places all over the substrate. Any ideas where it could be? They don't eat it do they? I can't get a great pic because of the water droplets on the glass.
Hello
Usually when the Tarantula is still soft from a molt,the exoskeleton will still be close by. They will only toss it out or remove it when they are harder,they will not easily leave it where their hide is since in my opinion this would attract prey animals into their vicinity.

So he or she,will throw it out at a later stage,and you will see it. There are actual exceptions,where the specimen will actually destroy the exoskeleton and you might find pieces scattered around. If you really want to sex it,I suggest being careful if you remove it he or she is soft and startling it now could cause harm.

If you do take it out later,just add it to water mixed with dishwashing liquid it will soften the molt again for sexing. So no matter when,you can still try and determine male or female.

Tyronne

3 Year Member
I found it! See it up against the side on the right. I cant get it without breaking open the hide. Is it safe to leave it there for now?

Attachments

• DSC_0007[1].jpg
    DSC_0007[1].jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 32

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Um.... does this look bad? It's hard to see at this camera angle but she's kind of lying on her side. Is it safe to try get a reaction from them?

Attachments

• DSC_0015[1].jpg
    DSC_0015[1].jpg
    192 KB · Views: 36

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Hello again
Lying on her side is natural,they will even stretch and look like they are doing yoga.
Ok. While she has been in that position there hasn't been any motion at all. Guess i'll give it an hour or so. I don't think the abdomen is shriveled, but definitely way smaller than it was before the molt.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok. While she has been in that position there hasn't been any motion at all. Guess i'll give it an hour or so. I don't think the abdomen is shriveled, but definitely way smaller than it was before the molt.
I will give you an example,my larger specimens after a molt that sometimes takes 16 hours or more will lie like that or in a weird position for 2 or 3 hours. No need to stress,they need rest and also to stretch their new exoskeleton.

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Congrats on the successful molt! As hard as it is try not to disturb your little one while they are hardening back up. It is so tempting to wanna coax it out so you can have a proper look, isn't it?

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Congrats on the successful molt! As hard as it is try not to disturb your little one while they are hardening back up. It is so tempting to wanna coax it out so you can have a proper look, isn't it?
All I REALLY want is peace of mind that they are going to be okay :) She was sitting nicely half way out her hide this morning legs all spread out. Such a relief! This is my first molt experience by the way :) So you can imagine I'm extra anxious! I think the versi is up next. It's pretty much a black spider.

Gavin van den Berg

3 Year Member
Hi Tyronne,

I'd say about 5 - 10 days or until its fangs have darkened. At the moment your T's fangs would still be soft so it needs the time to harden.

Personally I wait 10 days for all my T's, no matter what size they are.

Congrats on the successful molt. :T:

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Here she is, all freshly molted :) What beauty. The "firelegs" are starting to show! Can't believe how much bigger shes is.

Attachments

• WIN_20150109_170622.jpg
    WIN_20150109_170622.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 22

Tyronne

3 Year Member
So it's been 4 days and she hasn't removed the molt from her hide. And she has been out and active. She sits on the glass during the day, and retreats to her hide at night.. I hope it doesn't grow mold? Also her abdomen is tiny. I hate the post-molt feeding waiting period... Her fangs are black, but i'm still not risking it.

Rbales427

3 Year Member
I know the feeling. It's been almost two weeks since my N. Coloratovillosus molted and she still hasn't eaten... I get worried but she is still alive and moving. From my experience, they will never starve themselves. Just take it one day at a time, leave the food in there for a couple hours and if it doesn't feed, remove it and try again in a few days.

Latest posts