• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Avic avic is a shower, not a grower

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I've heard they are medium speed growers. I bought mine as 1.5", in November, and it molted in December. That was the last time it's molted and it's only about 2". I can't believe it hasn't molted since. I thought for sure it would've molted more than once in 6-7-8 months as a sling

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both mine have only molted once. My juvenile is the size of my bigger girl now but I see zero difference in that one's size. She's a bit darker then she was but nearly the same size. Maybe mine are full grown o.0

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Both mine have only molted once. My juvenile is the size of my bigger girl now but I see zero difference in that one's size. She's a bit darker then she was but nearly the same size. Maybe mine are full grown o.0
Guess mine isn't the only one. It's still small. I've read they get 5-6". When's that....after 20 years? Lol

Venom2090

3 Year Member
Guess mine isn't the only one. It's still small. I've read they get 5-6". When's that....after 20 years? Lol
ive read 4-5.5". im pretty sure 6" is pretty unheard of from this species. maybe the goliath pink toe. (forget the scientific name for that one right now.)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ive read 4-5.5". im pretty sure 6" is pretty unheard of from this species. maybe the goliath pink toe. (forget the scientific name for that one right now.)
Avicularia braunshauseni is the giant pinktoe and supposedly can get up to 7" or so.
I want one...and every other avic I don't have yet...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My verisicolor has molted twice now since we got her and is probably double in size now from what she was. The sp. Peru Purple is in premolt, but she's molted once already and gained a bit, guess mine are both growers ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always been in disagreement with many other keepers when it comes to the growth rate of Avics. Personally I think medium-growth probably describes them best because while most aren't exactly fast-growing spiders, I wouldn't go as far as to label them as slow growers. P.muticus, A.ezendami, pretty much all Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and Grammastola species are truly slow-growing to me.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I've always been in disagreement with many other keepers when it comes to the growth rate of Avics. Personally I think medium-growth probably describes them best because while most aren't exactly fast-growing spiders, I wouldn't go as far as to label them as slow growers. P.muticus, A.ezendami, pretty much all Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and Grammastola species are truly slow-growing to me.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
I would agree. But I guess my avic is a mystery. My B smithi molted twice n on the verge again, while my avic only 1 time in 6+ months

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics have a slow to medium growth rate in my experience. Not truly slow, like the spiders Chubbs listed, but still rather...slower than medium. Especially if you have a faster that eats like a rosea, and then there's the usual growth factors..feeding, temp,sex..

Latest posts