• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My albiceps died.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I got her about three weeks ago, or so. Fed her a week ago. Found her dead, with the extra nymph i put in her enclosure after she greedily devoured the first one, still alive. She had started molding. Just like one of my xenesthis slings, and just like a H cyaneus juvie, all three had been in the same enclosure, with the same piece of cork. On the underside of the cork is a large green patch of..mold or fungus, thin and powdery. Id not noticed it before. I threw the entire enclosure away to be sure. Too many deaths to be a coincidence. One of my favorite new spiders, a sexed female albiceps, 3 inches..goddamnit.

Redacted

3 Year Member
So I got her about three weeks ago, or so. Fed her a week ago. Found her dead, with the extra nymph i put in her enclosure after she greedily devoured the first one, still alive. She had started molding. Just like one of my xenesthis slings, and just like a H cyaneus juvie, all three had been in the same enclosure, with the same piece of cork. On the underside of the cork is a large green patch of..mold or fungus, thin and powdery. Id not noticed it before. I threw the entire enclosure away to be sure. Too many deaths to be a coincidence. One of my favorite new spiders, a sexed female albiceps, 3 inches..goddamnit.
Well fu@k. Sorry to hear of it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks. Im thinking i should have investigated the first two deaths, checked the enclosure thoroughly. Im fairly certain it was the crap on the cork bark. It took to long to figure it out though. A danger of having too many spiders and not enough time :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks. Im thinking i should have investigated the first two deaths, checked the enclosure thoroughly. Im fairly certain it was the crap on the cork bark. It took to long to figure it out though. A danger of having too many spiders and not enough time :(

I always thoroughly wash containers and décor then scald with very hot water before reusing but that's a throw back to my snake keeping days. I recently bought some wood for my son's scorps, from a reputable reptile supplier and it went completely mouldy within 2 days. I used another piece in my Jumping Spiders enclosure as that was dry and the same thing happened.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Damn Mass, I hate to log back in after a long hiatus to see your report of bad news... Sorry to hear