• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Multiple Water Dishes Go Dry Quickly

TayHuck

3 Year Member
I have purchased 4 different water dishes that have all gone dry overnight or within a few days, like they have a slow leak. I bought one shaped like a leaf. Dry the next day. Brought it back got another of the same type, dry the next day. Bought a small rock looking one, dry within a day maybe two or three days at most. Bought a small shallow pink dish of a whole new material, put it in two days ago, and just noticed it's dry!

There's no way my juvenile Suntiger is drinking it all. What's happening to drain the water? I have a hard time believing I've purchased literally 4 different water dishes that have all had holes in them. Is it possible somehow substrate is sucking out water?

DeanoMolly

3 Year Member
Mate I've had this same problem, with numerous dishes, I was topping up daily and one day realised my substrate was wrecked! Iv changed my t's into a new substrate and taken to putting big balls in the water, hoping that I don't have to keep refilling them EVERY day!! This as worked so far, but bug balls are useless, so more a trailed tactic then a solution!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had the same problem but one thing I have discovered is if the T gets a bit of substrate over the side of the bowl it will act like a syphon and empty the bowl quickly. I bought quite a lot of those micro bowls for my slings and have had a few of them empty mysteriously overnight.

TayHuck

3 Year Member
I pulled the water dishes out and filled them with water on the counter. They don't empty overnight, so something is drawing the water out. Quite a mystery...I've had this problem in multiple tanks so this has to be a common issue.

TayHuck

3 Year Member
Mate I've had this same problem, with numerous dishes, I was topping up daily and one day realised my substrate was wrecked! Iv changed my t's into a new substrate and taken to putting big balls in the water, hoping that I don't have to keep refilling them EVERY day!! This as worked so far, but bug balls are useless, so more a trailed tactic then a solution!
I'll try a new substrate possibly, maybe put some rocks underneath...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I still have cotton wool in bubbles dish he is 3"is this wrong?

There is no need to put anything in a Ts water bowl, they won't drown and cotton wool. sponges etc. can harbour bacteria.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When your water dish empties moments after filling it , is a sign that it's time to remove it and wash it out. The slightest string of webbing will siphon out all the water in the dish as well as any substrate or moss close by. I set some of my more troublesome water dishes on a little fish gravel. This seams to help some.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree 100%, definitely wicking out. As stated, one tiny thread of web or substrate and it will drain overnight. I lost a sling because of this, the substrate was near saturation point and I hadn't noticed, it was on the same food/water schedule as 20 of the same species. Apart from vigilance and washing the dishes each time, or at least wiping the sides both inside and out you can place the dish on something solid, an upside down dish of the same sort is perfect.

RonC

3 Year Member
So true, I didn't even think to say that! It might be why this problem is so commonly asked.
I've been watering my small slings using small blister packs I cut apart.. If they get any coco strands in them the water is literally gone in minutes. Ordered some Lego pieces. They will fit in the corners too.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tattoo ink cups...you can get a 100 for one dollar.
s-l400.jpg

RonC

3 Year Member
Just got my Lego pieces. The 2x2 square blocks fit the corner of the sling enclosures well. They are 16mm or 5/8 inch square. Have a little plastic piece in the middle for people worrying about drowning. They are a little tall so I did have to partly recess them a little into the sub. The tattoo ink cups are a great idea too. Tried the water bottle caps but it was too big for these small 2 inch(50mm) enclosures.

Latest posts