• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moving a Tarantula

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
I know that some people are against handling pet tarantulas, and honestly, my mind isn't made up on that, but if you don't handle them, how do you move them to do maintenance on their enclosures? Surely everyone has to do a complete substrate change at some point, right? I would like to wash our enclosure, and change the substrate, and do a little redecorating, but I am not sure if I will be able to pick Blanche up without upsetting her, which I really do not want to do. What are some good ways to move your spider, that are safe for everyone involved, and will cause the least amount of stress? What would make a good temporary container for her while I clean up? I do have a small round critter keeper that I use to feed my corn snake in. It is very short, so she wouldn't be able to climb and hurt herself, but if she got angry and started flicking hairs, they'd probably come right out of the top since it has little slits all over it. Is that something I'll need to worry about? This should be an interesting project. I'm sure my boyfriend will find my nervousness highly entertaining. :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What type of spider is it? What size?

For the majority of mine (I have several fast Old World species, so using my hands is never an option), I use a clear plastic cup and a piece of cardboard. If the spider is out in the open, it is very simple. You just carefully place the cup over the spider, carefully slide a piece of cardboard under the lip of the cup (being careful not to catch the T's legs), then pick up the cup with the cardboard covering the opening. You can also use a paint brush to carefully guide a complacent T into a cup on its side (or out of a burrow and into the open).

When performing maintenance on some of my feistier Ts, I will often just place the cup over them to allow me to remove boluses, clean water bowls, whatever I need to do without worry of them escaping or mistaking my hand for food or a predator.

If you head to YouTube, you can find some examples of folks using this method. If you work slowly and carefully, you can often do it without unnecessarily agitating or stressing your tarantula. If they flick hairs, they will be contained in the cup. Just be sure to wash it out before you use it again.

Last edited:

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Thanks. Blanche is a 5 year old grammostola porteri. I am thinking I shouldn't have to move her around much once I make this one big substrate change. Hopefully, as she gets used to her new home, she will also get somewhat used to me sticking my hand in her enclosure once in a while to do things. The first few days we had her, I put my hand in her enclosure to do things, and she was always fine with it, but when my boyfriend tried to reach in there she got scared and lifted her front legs. We have left her alone since then because I'm not sure if she might be molting soon. Her previous owner said she can get feisty at times, so I'm just trying to be prepared for anything. If I used this method, and took her out in a cup, would she be fine to just kind of hang out in the cup until I'm done, or would it be better to transfer her to the critter keeper? I think I'd be nervous leaving her in the cup, just because I have kids, cats, a bunny, and a somewhat clumsy boyfriend. I can just imagine myself thinking I have her in a great spot where no one would mess with her, and then hearing someone knock over the cup. Maybe I should do it in the bathroom with the door locked. Lol

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks. Blanche is a 5 year old grammostola porteri. I am thinking I shouldn't have to move her around much once I make this one big substrate change. Hopefully, as she gets used to her new home, she will also get somewhat used to me sticking my hand in her enclosure once in a while to do things. The first few days we had her, I put my hand in her enclosure to do things, and she was always fine with it, but when my boyfriend tried to reach in there she got scared and lifted her front legs. We have left her alone since then because I'm not sure if she might be molting soon. Her previous owner said she can get feisty at times, so I'm just trying to be prepared for anything. If I used this method, and took her out in a cup, would she be fine to just kind of hang out in the cup until I'm done, or would it be better to transfer her to the critter keeper? I think I'd be nervous leaving her in the cup, just because I have kids, cats, a bunny, and a somewhat clumsy boyfriend. I can just imagine myself thinking I have her in a great spot where no one would mess with her, and then hearing someone knock over the cup. Maybe I should do it in the bathroom with the door locked. Lol

Love G. porteries! :)

I've used this method for mine every time I've moved her (she always just sits in the cup and barely moves). If I set them aside for a bit while in the cup, I put something on top of the cup to keep them from knocking it over and getting out. That has worked fine for me. If you're going to be working on it for a while, you could always put the cup with the cardboard over the mouth in the critter keeper. Or, just put her in the keeper and use the cup to transfer her back when you're ready. Definitely don't want a curious cat knocking her over. Either of these methods would work. :)

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Nice! Hopefully she molts soon, and I can get her set up with some new substrate and decorations. I will probably just use the critter keeper for her while I clean. My kitties do the darndest things, and I can only imagine they see Blanche the same way they see our corn snake: kitty toy! Plus, I don't trust my boyfriend. I could see him trying to look at her and accidentally knocking the cup over. Come to think of it, I'm often clumsy myself. Yep. Critter keeper it is. ;)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice! Hopefully she molts soon, and I can get her set up with some new substrate and decorations. I will probably just use the critter keeper for her while I clean. My kitties do the darndest things, and I can only imagine they see Blanche the same way they see our corn snake: kitty toy! Plus, I don't trust my boyfriend. I could see him trying to look at her and accidentally knocking the cup over. Come to think of it, I'm often clumsy myself. Yep. Critter keeper it is. ;)

Ha! Critter keeper it is! Best of luck with the transfer. :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know that some people are against handling pet tarantulas, and honestly, my mind isn't made up on that, but if you don't handle them, how do you move them to do maintenance on their enclosures? Surely everyone has to do a complete substrate change at some point, right? I would like to wash our enclosure, and change the substrate, and do a little redecorating, but I am not sure if I will be able to pick Blanche up without upsetting her, which I really do not want to do. What are some good ways to move your spider, that are safe for everyone involved, and will cause the least amount of stress? What would make a good temporary container for her while I clean up? I do have a small round critter keeper that I use to feed my corn snake in. It is very short, so she wouldn't be able to climb and hurt herself, but if she got angry and started flicking hairs, they'd probably come right out of the top since it has little slits all over it. Is that something I'll need to worry about? This should be an interesting project. I'm sure my boyfriend will find my nervousness highly entertaining. :)
upload_2016-2-5_1-41-53.png

micheldied

3 Year Member
I actually never completely change the substrate in an enclosure. The only time my Ts have ever gotten new substrate is when they're rehoused into a new enclosure. I spot clean whenever I can, but for the most part it is IMO unnecessary and stresses out the T. The only time I would do it is if there is some kind of health hazard (mites, for example).

When I spot clean nastier and faster OW Ts, I knock around and make sure they retreat into their hide first, and then use long forceps. If you really must, use the cup method. Although with a G. porteri you probably won't have many problems.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never had to remove one to do maintenance, however the A. chalcode likes to escape any time the enclosure lid is opened. So she gets to chill out in a 16oz deli cup when she does an escape attempt. She crawls up the side and over the edge into the cup, then the lid is snapped on.

I have smaller deli cups that i use with all the others. I use a makeup brush to gently guide them near a corner then cover them with the deli cup and put the water dish on top so they can't escape. then I do whatever maintenance needs done and remove the cup after. Less stressful that way i think than removing them each time.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
I've never had to remove one to do maintenance, however the A. chalcode likes to escape any time the enclosure lid is opened. So she gets to chill out in a 16oz deli cup when she does an escape attempt. She crawls up the side and over the edge into the cup, then the lid is snapped on.

I have smaller deli cups that i use with all the others. I use a makeup brush to gently guide them near a corner then cover them with the deli cup and put the water dish on top so they can't escape. then I do whatever maintenance needs done and remove the cup after. Less stressful that way i think than removing them each time.

I only plan to move her once. Just during the big substrate change I'm planning. After that, spot cleaning should be okay. Maybe even easier than my snake, who has cage aggression issues, and has struck at me just for filling his water bowl. Blanche seems more chill than that. I put my hands in there today, and even got pretty close to take her picture, and she didn't seem to care. She's a sweet girl, I think. ;)

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
I actually never completely change the substrate in an enclosure. The only time my Ts have ever gotten new substrate is when they're rehoused into a new enclosure. I spot clean whenever I can, but for the most part it is IMO unnecessary and stresses out the T. The only time I would do it is if there is some kind of health hazard (mites, for example).

When I spot clean nastier and faster OW Ts, I knock around and make sure they retreat into their hide first, and then use long forceps. If you really must, use the cup method. Although with a G. porteri you probably won't have many problems.

The big substrate change is because she is on dragon sand now, and it's pretty dirty. I don't think it has been cleaned in a while. We only recently rescued her, and I just want to clean out her enclosure really well, and get that yucky sand out.

micheldied

3 Year Member
The big substrate change is because she is on dragon sand now, and it's pretty dirty. I don't think it has been cleaned in a while. We only recently rescued her, and I just want to clean out her enclosure really well, and get that yucky sand out.

Ah. Grammostola tend to be slow, so you shouldn't have a problem moving her.

Latest posts