• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moult and mites

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I 'think' my T. albopilosus Misty has moulted. I can't be sure as she must have left it in her hide, but these are the pictures comparing her last week, and now. She looks different to me and her legs seem longer. I have never had a tarantula moult before (she is my first who I got about 2 months ago), so this is very exciting if she has.

bf m - Copy.JPG
am - Copy.JPG

If she has moulted, I also wondered whether her abdomen is looking too skinny and when would be appropriate to try feeding her? I have read that you should leave adult Ts about a week after the moult. However with her being so skinny and a juvenile, I wondered if it is best to do it a bit sooner?

A final question I have is about mites. I have seen a tiny white thing moving fast around her hide entrance. Is this likely to be a mite and if so, at what point is it classed as an infestation/ I should empty her cage? I really don't want to empty if I can help it as she has spent so long building the hide. I have also noticed very small flies in her enclosure, especially around the sphagnum moss. Is this bad/is there anything I can do to reduce them?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

I 'think' my T. albopilosus Misty has moulted. I can't be sure as she must have left it in her hide, but these are the pictures comparing her last week, and now. She looks different to me and her legs seem longer. I have never had a tarantula moult before (she is my first who I got about 2 months ago), so this is very exciting if she has.

View attachment 49437View attachment 49439
If she has moulted, I also wondered whether her abdomen is looking too skinny and when would be appropriate to try feeding her? I have read that you should leave adult Ts about a week after the moult. However with her being so skinny and a juvenile, I wondered if it is best to do it a bit sooner?

A final question I have is about mites. I have seen a tiny white thing moving fast around her hide entrance. Is this likely to be a mite and if so, at what point is it classed as an infestation/ I should empty her cage? I really don't want to empty if I can help it as she has spent so long building the hide. I have also noticed very small flies in her enclosure, especially around the sphagnum moss. Is this bad/is there anything I can do to reduce them?
She won't eat until she has hardened up properly (she has definitely moulted from the pic) as you can see by the colour of her fangs.. The fangs will go black - always leave it a week or so before offering food, she will not starve as long as she has water she will be fine..
Are you sure that the white mites are not springtails? They are harmless clean up crew that live in damp areas.. If you let it dry up then they will die off :)
If the moss is causing flies to hang around get rid of it out of the enclosure - is there any chance there's a dead cricket in there as they are usually a source of causing flies :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
She won't eat until she has hardened up properly (she has definitely moulted from the pic) as you can see by the colour of her fangs.. The fangs will go black - always leave it a week or so before offering food, she will not starve as long as she has water she will be fine..
Are you sure that the white mites are not springtails? They are harmless clean up crew that live in damp areas.. If you let it dry up then they will die off :)
If the moss is causing flies to hang around get rid of it out of the enclosure - is there any chance there's a dead cricket in there as they are usually a source of causing flies :)

You are very good at replying! Haha, thanks for all the advice! I am really happy to have confirmation that she moulted :D <3 Yup she has fresh water in there.

I have not yet entered the world of spring tails but have heard of them. I will bear in mind that's what they could be and just keep an eye on any multiplying. I am pretty sure I removed all crickets but I will have another check and remove the moss.