• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most docile Tarantula for beginners?

Kuuvang

I need more option since there maybe not a chance I can purchase euathlus sp. red.

Price ranges fluctuate as low as 45$ to 165$, which wasn't consist lol

I know Tarantula all various in their own temperament, but I just need some more choices just in case.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Phrixotrichus scrofa
20180512_184604.jpg

This is not a threat posture...shes waiting for me to toss her a roach. Shes the sweetest spider I've ever owned.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
My A.chalcodes and A.hentzi are both 8 legged hamsters, pretty easy to get ahold of and cheap too! As mentioned most Brachys and Grammostolas are good but I've had close calls with my B.auratum, B.vagans, G.porteri and G.pulchra but never bitten. B.smithi(hamorii) and G.pulchripes are both hamsters too. I have a little H.chilensis(Euathlus) that's still really small but the thing loves attention and doesn't scurry around like most slings do.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The pink zebra beauty is considered to be the calmest one but they are hard to find and slings grow slowly.

With all these guys, handling should be minimized. I'd go with something more pouncy & faster growing.

Start with a sling or small juvenile and grow with the spider. A geniculata, any Lasiodora species or B vagans in my opinion would be excellent.

Lasiodora klugi was my second tarantula & she is by far the best display tarantula bar none. Once they get the adult colors, they are in plain sight 99% of the time & not at all bothered by light or even cameras.

The ones I listed all have dynamite feeding responses & watching them eat the feeders is thrilling. These also grow pretty fast and are hardy.

Fast growth, reasonable price, visible most of the time and fun to feed are, in my opinion, the only way to fly if you are doing your first one.

Refraining from handling opens up many opportunities that otherwise you can't do.

A paintbrush and a catch cup with a proper fitting lid are your friends.

Also, when getting a cage, go for something that is Crystal clear & has great visibility.

Jamie's tarantulas has everything you need in bundles, a one stop shop for many species. She also has a beginner species section to avoid any confusion.

Size wise, with a spiderling I'd try for 1.5 to 2.5 inch diagonal leg span, minimum 1 inch.

L Klugi ultimate pic 2.jpg

L klugi when she literally got done molting and had adult colors for the first time. I was thrilled to be there at the exact moment she revealed herself to the world.

Latest posts